AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I’m debating getting an 11-Channel AVR (built-in amp) or getting a pre-pro with pre-amp outs and using a Sonance Sonamp 12-50 to power each speaker. I’m building a 7.2.4 Atmos system and will get a separate amp for the sub(s), but for the non-sub speakers I’m curious about 2 things...

(1) If the speakers (a mix of Sonance VP48 Rectangles, VP46 Rectangles, VP46R for height) are rated at 5W min and 100W max, is 50W from the Sonamp a good power rating to run the speakers? If the speaker (R1 for the center channel) is rated 5W min to 150W max, can the Sonamp power it efficiently?

(2) If I don’t use all 12 channels on the Sonamp, will the amp be able to use all 600W over fewer channels? I think I could bridge each L/R pair and have 100W over 6 channels, but what if I used 7 channels, would the amp be able to do 85.7W per channel, or is each channel individually amplified?

I’m thinking the best setup is to bridge one pair for 100W RO the center channel (Sonos Reference R1), then the other 10 channels run the other 10 speakers. A separate amp will run the Sonos VPSUB (or pair of VPSUB’s).

Thoughts? Comments? Anything will help, including opinions on the Sonos VP speakers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess the real question is... do you think the sound quality would be better with a pre-pro Like the Arcan AV40AM and Sonamp versus simply using the amp in an AVR like the Marantz SR8012?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any opinions? I can’t use Best Buy or Crutchfield reviews to judge Sonance amps, I need the AVSForum braintrust! 🙂

1 - 3 of 3 Posts