AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing gears a little bit...

I'm wondering if you all have some favorites / suggestions for stream-able music to pipe through new speakers just to showcase their capabilities. I know the easy answers like "it depends on what you like" and "new speakers won't be broken in yet" and "most streaming music is too compressed", etc.

But putting all that aside, if you were at a friend's house who just picked up some new front speakers, and he asked you to find a few songs from YouTube or Spotify (or elsewhere) to see how the speakers sounded, what would you choose?

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Take it Easy - The Eagles
Hotel California - The Eagles Hell Freezes Over live concert
Don't Know Why - Nora Jones
Why Worry - Dire Straights
Time - Pink Floyd
Peel Me a Grape - Dianna Krall
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

·
Registered
375 Posts
Steeley Dan, cousin Dupree
Tom petty, candy
Dire straights, telegraph road
Larry Carlton, minute by minute
Seether, fine again.
Peter Murphy, strange kind of love

If these don't sound good on the new speakers........

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Any Steely Dan from Aja on, but I use a lot of Dave Grusin, and I did a review of one of my favorite demo CD's here.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A favorite of mine for soundstaging has become "Thunder Road" from the Bruce Springsteen live record Hammersmith Odeon London '75. On speakers that image well, when the harmonica enters dead center and then Bruce starts singing, there's a palpable presence on a great system. Pretty fantastic for a 40 year old live rock recording.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Big Bands

Any type of big band music and when those horns open up it will immediately let you hear things like dynamism, separation, clarity, and bass.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing
Toy Matinee: Last Plane Out

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I 2nd Sultans of Swing and also "I Want my MTV". Also a few Zepp songs are usually good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Japanese Wallpaper - Waves
One of my favorites and the first song I play on any new pair of speakers.

Electronic style, bass heavy: Mydas - Mistakes

Alternative style, bass heavy: AWOLNATION - I Am

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pink Floyd, Us and Them, but mainly Learning to Fly. I am really testing these new speakers.

Sparkygod's Home Theater Journey

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Changing gears a little bit...

I'm wondering if you all have some favorites / suggestions for stream-able music to pipe through new speakers just to showcase their capabilities. I know the easy answers like "it depends on what you like" and "new speakers won't be broken in yet" and "most streaming music is too compressed", etc.

But putting all that aside, if you were at a friend's house who just picked up some new front speakers, and he asked you to find a few songs from YouTube or Spotify (or elsewhere) to see how the speakers sounded, what would you choose?
Topics like these are always near impossible to me. I understand what you are asking but I'm always left with several thousands of artists and songs from several decades to choose from and no real way of narrowing it down to a small list other than to pick some favorite songs which again would number into the thousands so how do you do that? :confused::eek:

But so as not to be a total thread party-pooper, I'll give you something. These are semi-random & idiosyncratic off the top of my head and different than the "usual-suspect" obvious artist choices that you tend to get in response (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with those). A few songs I like and might sound cool cranked up on good speakers, though not necessarily clinical exercises in bringing out speaker faults and testing their limits, per se.:

Massive Attack - Live With Me (a band often name-checked for this sort of thing, particularly for their Mezzanine album, though this song isn't on it. Video is worth checking out too but kind of a bummer.)
The Last Shadow Puppets - Standing Next To Me (side project of Alex Turner from Arctic Monkeys, has a retro 60's pop feel to it. Irresistible.)
Goldfrapp - Lovely Head (From their first album and still a fave. Much prefer their evocative material like this to their cheeky-pop stuff.)
The Stooges - Down On The Street (funky swaggering hard rock delivered with a punk glare. Can't help but crank this one.)
PJ Harvey - Send His Love To Me (PJ in her achingly-raspy vocal period with strings and acoustic guitar carrying it along. One of the more accessible songs from a genius album.)
Nick Cave & the Dirty Three - Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Rivertentum aka 0 Is Also A Number (Warren Ellis' lyrically quirky violin-playing style just slays me on this one. Wish the song kept going & his violin riff didn't trail off at the end.)
Ladytron - Ambulances (atmospheric synth pop. One of several of theirs I could pick out of a hat)
Dave Stewart @Daryl's (Hall) House - Heart of Stone (probably not on streaming service but love this live version of Stewart's minor rocking disco-y hit post-Eurythmics.)

More broadly, artists like Air, Aphex Twin, Thievery Corporation, would give speakers a good workout (some of their remix work especially). If subwoofers were part of the equation, some choices might be substituted here. Above all else, choose what you would love to hear the most.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
... and "most streaming music is too compressed", etc.

Many blind tests have shown that compressed files of 256kbps or better are audibly indistinguishable from lossless, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Bassotronics - Bass, I Love You, if the fronts are used as full-range.

A full orchestra would be your best bet as the instruments would cover the frequency spectrum. However, if you're like me you might not be all that excited by classical music. So here's a few non-classical.

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter
Kascade - Animals As Leaders
Steamer Lane Breakdown - Doobie Brothers
Tool - Mantra
Liquid Tension Experiment - their 1st album

1 - 20 of 47 Posts