AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Sonic Solutions, whose Roxio CinemaNow digital movie service has lagged behind competitors in High Definition streaming, announced today that it will use some of the same technology used to encode Blu-ray films to stream movies in 1080p resolution.

Sonic follows Microsoft Xbox, which announced it will offer 1080p HD streaming on every movie it can beginning this fall, and other services already offering high definition including iTunes, Amazon Video on Demand and Vudu.

Sonic also will offer the technology, dubbed Sonic CineVision Adaptive HD, as part of the company's CineVision Master Encoding system, enabling others to maximize the quality of streaming video content.

Sonic claims its CineVision Adaptive HD delivers the highest quality HD video to Internet-connected consumer electronic devices. The technology is built on Sonic's CineVision HD encoding system, used for Blu-ray movie production, and uses Widevine's adaptive streaming expertise to stream films in 1080p resolution with seamless playback.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6673607.html

·
Registered
485 Posts
Whoa.. the competition is really steaming up..

This will make sure we are getting better and better quality faster and faster..

I love it.. the beauty of competition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Folks,

You have to see this to believe it. Widevine was showing the HD Adaptive streaming at Cablelabs last week.

It was amazing to see. The clip was 1080i it was encoded in H.264. It seamlessly adapted from 2.5 Mbps to 10Mbps ...I think there were 4 or 5 different bit rates. The quality was amazing. It was playing back on Windows, Mac and a Blu-ray player.

What was even more amazing then the HD adaptive technology was that the 1080i Mbps H.264 clip played back on the PC/MAC. They attempted to play back the low bit rate version using a Flash player and silverlight and the CPU maxed out, stuterd and lost frames.

Sonic and Widevine really have something here.

- Morgan

·
Registered
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganMPEG /forum/post/17008654

Folks,

You have to see this to believe it. Widevine was showing the HD Adaptive streaming at Cablelabs last week.

It was amazing to see. The clip was 1080i it was encoded in H.264. It seamlessly adapted from 2.5 Mbps to 10Mbps ...I think there were 4 or 5 different bit rates. The quality was amazing. It was playing back on Windows, Mac and a Blu-ray player.

What was even more amazing then the HD adaptive technology was that the 1080i Mbps H.264 clip played back on the PC/MAC. They attempted to play back the low bit rate version using a Flash player and silverlight and the CPU maxed out, stuterd and lost frames.

Sonic and Widevine really have something here.

- Morgan

Shhh..if it's not 500 mbps bitrate and uncompressed sound it HAS TO SUCK!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts