Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Just install my HT - sony PFM42x1, NAD T753 with Dali speakers and Sunfire subwoofer. Have the monitor connected to my Mac mini running OS 10.4.2 through a DVI cable.

I just bought the Sonica theater - I can't get the Apple DVD player to recognize it or to pass through DTS/DD surround sound.

I could listen to iTunes at 2.1 however -

Can anyone help? I know that M-audio has not released an updated driver for 10.4 but I've heard that people are able to get Sonica Theater to work.

Thx

:)

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I thought there had been a Tiger driver and that Sonica Theater owners had been reporting success. Check which driver version you loaded and then doublecheck at the m-audio site.

Make sure of that first and then maybe we can look into the Audio MIDI steup utility and the hardware and software control panels of the m-audio. I don't have the Sonica but our settings would probably be similar.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info - went to the website and downloaded driver 1.6.

I then set the surround mode to "digital out" and was able to confirm DD passthrough when I use apple DVD player with a DVD.

However, I also have a bunch of movies that I ripped using mac the ripper and storing it on a firewire HD - when I use apple DVD player with Sonica Theater at that setting, I can't get 5.1 audio passthrough - the display on my receive is showing "digital 2.0 channel" - any ideas??

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newHTowner
Thanks for the info - went to the website and downloaded driver 1.6.

I then set the surround mode to "digital out" and was able to confirm DD passthrough when I use apple DVD player with a DVD.

However, I also have a bunch of movies that I ripped using mac the ripper and storing it on a firewire HD - when I use apple DVD player with Sonica Theater at that setting, I can't get 5.1 audio passthrough - the display on my receive is showing "digital 2.0 channel" - any ideas??

Thanks
Any word on this? I just bought and setup a Sonica Theater USB. I didn't install the driver from the CD but rather did a clean install of the latest OS X 10.4.2 driver from M-Audio. I can't seem to get Dolby Digital to pass through. My Rotel is doing a Dolby PL II mode on it rather than detecting the Dolby Digital.

Thoughts?

MIke

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I don't have the Sonica Theater so I can't be that much help to you guys, and my M-audio firewire product doesn't make me choose between various "surround modes"--pass through is pass through, period. But for your own process of elimination--before you call M-audio tech support about this--I can tell you it shouldn't make any difference between playing an actual dvd and playing back a video_ts file with Apple DVD Player--the Theater should pass the signal and your receiver should recognize the signal in each case. So go back and insert a dvd with multiple sound tracks like a DD 5.1 and a DTS--you say you're getting DD passthrough--was it 2.0 or 5.1? And when you're in the middle of a movie change the audio with your remote from 2.0 to the 5.1 then to the DTS--does your receiver recognize it? Sometimes the beginnings of movies are in DD 2.0 or Pro Logic and then will kick in to surround later--are you giving it enough time? If you're having a problem at this stage then it really isn't a MTR or Apple DVD Player issue when it comes to playing back video_ts files.

My guess is it's an internal setting issue within the Sonica's software control panel. Just to make sure--this is happening with all ripped movies, you're using Apple dvd player 4.6.1, and you're sure you've ripped the disc completely and have several surround tracks to choose from? Which MTR release are you using?

Mike, your issue might be different--if you are stuck on Pro Logic no matter what you do--you should:

1) go into Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Audio Devices > System Settings > and check your default in and out: is your M-audio usb device showing up there?

2) Also go into Apple DVD Player preferences > Disc setup > Audio output > do you show an M-audio digital usb option?

3) Then go to System Preferences > Sound >Output > Choose a device for sound output (or at least I think that's what it's called, it's been a while since I had to look there) Do you have a generic usb option here or do you have a specific M-audio usb option? If it's the former, then what's happening is something is preventing the specific Sonica drivers from loading and you're just getting Pro Logic like everyone who is plugging any old usb plug and play device in. Something else you have loaded (like EyeTV) might be causing a conflict.

So start by looking at these three preference panels. I'll also assume you've tried to disconnect/reconnect to make sure it's not a recognition or wake from sleep issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc
Mike, your issue might be different--if you are stuck on Pro Logic no matter what you do--you should:

1) go into Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Audio Devices > System Settings > and check your default in and out: is your M-audio usb device showing up there?

2) Also go into Apple DVD Player preferences > Disc setup > Audio output > do you show an M-audio digital usb option?

3) Then go to System Preferences > Sound >Output > Choose a device for sound output (or at least I think that's what it's called, it's been a while since I had to look there) Do you have a generic usb option here or do you have a specific M-audio usb option? If it's the former, then what's happening is something is preventing the specific Sonica drivers from loading and you're just getting Pro Logic like everyone who is plugging any old usb plug and play device in. Something else you have loaded (like EyeTV) might be causing a conflict.

So start by looking at these three preference panels. I'll also assume you've tried to disconnect/reconnect to make sure it's not a recognition or wake from sleep issue.
Let me start by saying, You Da Man! I think my problem was mainly that I was trying to get this working last night very late so I was in one of the sort of sleep deprived psuedo-drunken states where you just start clicking on things without any real strategy. The problem was in DVD Player. Somehow I had over looked the ability to select between a couple options on the "audio out". The M-Audio device was not selected. I picked that and bingo, my receiver detects Dolby Digital for both DVDs and .ts files.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
As a side note, VLC does a much better job of de-interlacing DVD's than Apple's DVD player and now supports digital pass thru. You'll need to tinker with things (select a de-interlacing method, audio configuration, etc), but the results are worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Andrew--leaving deinterlacing aside--would you mind giving us an exact step by step process to configure VLC for digital AC-3 pass through--if this is indeed true, a whole lot of people with generic, non-M-audio, plug and play usb interfaces will be very, very happy.

Which build of VLC is stable now with 10.4.2? My experience with VLC was prickly, at best, and frankly I gave up--is it safe to return?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I haven't used VLC in a while, anyone here think it has improved? And more specifically, are there recommendations from any Mac user satisfied using VLC on how to configure it for digital audio pass thru? Can anyone confirm which build of VLC now passes DTS from a dvd or video_ts file and whether "pass thru" works 1) without an M-audio device and 2) on a Mac without a built-in optical minijack?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.