Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.replaytv.com/video/replaytv/legal_fund.asp

Apparently SonicBlue is soliciting money for legal defense related to the ReplayTV 4K. Seems kind of weird to me, a company asking for donations for something like this. Maybe they intended this to something different but it just doesn't seem to come across right to me. Personally my money is going to the EFF.

From their web site:
Quote:
Legal Defense Fund

Due to expressed interest from several parties, SONICblue has created a Legal Defense Fund where donations will be applied toward the cost of ReplayTV 4000 litigation. If you would like to take part in the fight for consumer rights, please make your check or money order payable to "SONICblue Legal Defense Fund for ReplayTV," and mail it to:

SONICblue Inc.

2841 Mission College Blvd

Santa Clara, CA 95054

Attn: Legal Defense Fund

c/o Treasury Department

Thank you for your support of consumer rights and SONICblue!

*This donation is not a tax deductible item.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I also plan on contributing to the EFF.

I guess the idea of this fund is that some customers may be concerned that the expense of fighting the lawsuit could impair SB's ability to service us. So you could consider it an investment in the future value of the devices we purchased.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hilarious!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Den
Hilarious!
Actually I find it disturbing rather than hilarious..

And more so in the fact that Hollywood is slowly but surely getting rid of fair use rights.. the most disturbing part is Sonicblue could be legally crushed by the sheer vast amounts of money Hollywood has to dump on a case like this and not even blink.. Sonicblue is probably right in setting up a fund... Frankly after what happened with Napster I don't blame them (not that I put them in the same category as Napster).. But the point is organizations like the RIAA and the MPAA have very deep pockets to buy what they want or have laws created in their favor that allows them to win in cases like this.. it's really bad when they can pay off congress to create laws which later on they can use in court cases to crush companies like SonicBlue.. to me this is very unfair and disturbing..

·
Registered
42 Posts
I called SonicBlue last week, and contributed a few $'s to them, without any prompting from them. I believe that the battle for the Digital Commons is important and wanted to express my support for it even though I had already purchased a system. I don't think that they are strongly soliciting the money, but as some people like me may have wanted to show their support, they published an address in case.

I now note that there is a separate suit. http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/Newmark_...wmark_faq.html , by some Replay owners to get legal permission to delete commercials, and may add my name to the list of co-sponsors.

I think that we, Tivo people, etc. may be able to turn the tide, but certainly the fight for our Digital freedoms is not going to be easy and each of us who feel that we want to assist the fight have to work in our own way, Contribute to eff.org, digitalconsumer.org. Write, and Call our representatives, Consider not purchasing from the vendors pushing DMCA and its successor.

My position is that DMCA etc. should be repealed and we should return to the original "Fair Use" copyright doctrine with reasonable, 10 year, periods.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Why don't they just advertise the 4k's? If enough of these units are out there then there will be a lot of pressure to keep them.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Yes SB is not asking for that. Just responding for those expressing interest.

It's really about generating interest and publicity.... it's working quite well. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.