Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Limited Time Offer - Purchase by June 28, 2002

Because of our sponsor relationship with Sonicblue (They make the ReplayTV) they have offered us a SPECIAL DEAL on their Wireless Web Tablets - ProGear!

ProGear is a wireless entertainment system that allows a person to access the broadband Internet connection from anywhere in your home. You can maximize the benefits of a wireless home network by accessing desktop PC files through a router like those from Netgear. It's could be an awesome as a universal remote {if you find the software for it} - or for web browsing or email while sitting on your couch!
  • 802.11b wireless broadband connectivity
  • 10.4" flat-screen 1024x768 LCD display
  • Long-lasting battery
  • Lightweight, tablet-style, go-anywhere design
  • Touch-screen keyboard
  • Instant-on to last feature viewed
  • Easy-to-program and easy-to-install controls
  • Choice of Windows 98 SE or Linux 2.4 operating systems

http://images1.postdirect.com/master...34/ProGear.jpg

ProGear 1050 SE (Windows 98SE version) - $3,299.00 Normally
AVS - Buy Now $599.00!

ProGear 1050 LX (Linux version) - $2,799.00 Normally
AVS - Buy Now $599.00!

Notes From David:

ProGear requires a broadband Internet connection (DSL or cable modem) and a home network that also has a wireless access point.

I would also recommand a USB Keyboard for standard use and incase you need to get into the BIOS. (Like $20 on-line or at a local computer store.)

These, by design, do not have floppy or CD ROM drives. To install extra software you would connect to drives on your local network or download from web.

Why not the fastest computers out their... it is 400 Hmz and has 128 meg of RAM. It is great for reading this site, OK, or others, from your couch. :)

The linux version seems to run much faster.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Are these still available? Their website says they are out of stock and I received confirmation from Sonic Blue customer service that they are not in production anymore?

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi...

They have updated the site for I called them and told them it was not correct for they just gave us this offer. They confirmed and fixed it...I show it saying In Stock.

Yes...these are being phased out...but what a deal!

·
Registered
306 Posts
David -

I would like to pick one of these up but the "Buy Now" link does not seem to be working. Can you have Jason email me about making a purchase. Thanks.

mcody at mindspring.com (remove spaces for email)

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This has nothing to do with AVS except thay brought it to our members as a special because they are a sponsor. Thus Jason can not be of help.

I am sorryy to say I have had no issue with the buy now button. Browser?

Yes... it has IR. But you will need to find software to use with it fot it does not come with it. Not sure what fot I use it For browsing like now.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Wait...If you were talking about the above "BUY NOW".... hummm... it was the link above it. I have now modified the link.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
2 Things...

Firstly in the HTPC section there are rumbles that this is now out of stock yet also people who have placed orders and got out of stock status have been mailed for shipping address so maybee they just got lucky or maybee they were the last / borderline people...

Secondly, as a universal remote these have IRDA out.. IRDA is a computer IR interface for PC's to talk to one another... This is not the same beast as consumer IR.. There is a Girder plug in to support IRDA but it is buggy / awkward / clearly unsupported... in general IRDA devices do not control IR units unless you are very lucky but... This is an 802.11 integrated device (unlike the stylistsic 510's that we did a powerbuy on in the HTPC section therefore needing a wireless PCMCIA card) this has enormous potential as a control device for webpad to HTPC... Also there are IR out devices that link to a serial port that are Girder supported therefore by extension (and some Girder programming) you have touchpad to HTPC (via 802.11) to IR out control (lets face it you dont want a IR out on a dongle hanging off your nice webpad) of consumer devices... Even better than that is the 2 way control angles of media playlists client server aproaches etc etc etc...

If you are curious as to the implications pop into the HTPC section and look at threads like ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...istic+powerbuy

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=control+htpc

Also search under the possibility of DTPro

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Info Phat !!! The Stock issues is not an issue I am told. In fact, I just went their now and see both show as In Stock. In any case...again, thanks for the info. I just use mine for browsing. :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hi David:

Since you have one, is there a way to shut off the screen backlight...like an ICON you press or hard button on the unit? If using it for a remote in a dark room, this would be needed? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes...you can dim it right down to a good level.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hi David:

Can you explicitly shut the backlight "off" via a hard button or icon or just dim the backlight? The scenario I'm after is as follows:

1. Touch the screen and the backlight comes on.

2. Use the unit to execute some commands/programs.

3. Press a hard button or ICON to shut the backlight off so no light is emitted from the unit.

Is this possible?

Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tap icon by clock...Move or tap slider up and down. Does not turn off from what I can see...but I really have not looked all over...just that option that is in the task bar. This is the Windows version...the other may be differnt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased the $599 Linux version since the Win98 SE version was out of stock. I know upgrading Win98 SE to Win2k or WinXP is a no brainer, as long as i can map a drive to the CD on another PC or copy the i386 directory over to the Progear local HD. But how would i go about wiping Linux off the Progear and installing WinXP? I basically just want the Remote Desktop features and turn this thing into a pseudo "Mira" device, which it can certainly do better than the real Mira CE .Net devices slated to come out soon. The progear has an incredible high-res panel that the Mira's dont AFAIK.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Open Progear... Remove HD... Buy 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter and use your PC to format / FDisk / Copy cabs / Make bootable...

Re-Install to the Progear for the install on the webpad for HW detection.. The only possible problems are suitable HW drivers / Pen drivers / Etc... i dont know what is on the Progear site etc...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
How large is the HDD on these units?

-Jon

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Click on link, look at all specs. :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He may have ment physical size (as I had mentioned removal and replacement) and I dont think that info was in the link I have seen...

Of course he may have been asking about storage capacity in which case this is still not on the sales link but looking on the progear site it lists it as 5.6 GB...

And it appears to be a standard 2.5 inch HD but 9 or 12 mm you would need to open and look..

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah...Thanks Phat. I also think you are right on the size.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.