AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I can easily understand the outrage over the court ruling as I am a little outraged too. However, this isn't too surprising since it is in California.

On another note though, I am really not too surprised. After all, The new replayTV prduct with the High_Speed Internet Port that allows people to send shows to other people as easily as turning on a light in the living room, invites people to commit a felony

True there are laws that protect privacy, but there are also laws that protect companies from being robbed. Imagine if it was your company being robbed in this manner. . .you would be glad these laws are in place.

I am not saying that it is not possible for people to steal copyrighted information. In fact, we have all done it at some level (ie. copying our favorite cassete tape of a friends in high school of our favorite band). My point is, maybe we copied a couple tapes or a few songs. . .most likely a tape we would not have paid for anyway. That is very small time. But now Sonic Blue has brought to market a product that makes it incredibly easy and affordable to just about anyone to copy, reproduce, and distribute copyrighted material.

Yes, you can do the same thing with a VCR. but we all know it is not as easy, as good of quality, or as simple as turing on a light. In my opinion, Sonic Blue made the mistake of marketiing a product and advertising the ease of sending a show to friends. As for the commercial skipping part, I don't have that version and do not know exactly how it works. If it automatically stopps the recording during comercials, I can see where there will be some problems.

Also realise that these laws are there to protect you and me in the long run. If they allow products to automatically cut out commercials, TV Networks will lose their advertisers completely. And you will end you losing your TV Networks and have to go to all Pay Per View.

So, you should really think about what you are wishing for. I would rather skip through the commercials manually and invite people of to my house to watch a recorded show than have to pay for every show I watch.

Don't worry, I am not a communist and I hate attourney's just like all of you. And, yes, the invasion of privacy is appaling at first thought. But, I do believe that Sonic Blue could have marketed their product a little differently.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The 4000s record commercials just like earlier versions; if AutoSkip is on, they're skipped over in playback without having to hit the remote button 4 or 6 times.

And who said they hated attorneys? I certainly don't.

Hell, I don't even hate the studios. I just think they're amazingly shortsighted and technophobic. I do hate some of the laws they've pushed for and some of the court cases, but not the people.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.