AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just FYI, I e-mailed Ultimatetv to see if they track customer television usage, and their reponse was that they do not and have no intention of doing so.

·
Registered
232 Posts
They have new models to be on dealer shelves this weekend.

"The ReplayTV 4500 will be available in four models, with different recording capacities and prices. The 40-hour DVR costs $450, the 80-hour $750, the 160-hour $1,250, and the 320-hour $1,750. The new DVRs will be the first units from Sonicblue to require a one-time $249 lifetime subscription fee for the service. "

http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1040-...&subj=cnetnews

The 40-hour cost of $450 is a bit high. The other models, with apparently only larger hard disks, seem way overpriced when you consider the cost of hard disks these days. Plus, REQUIRING an additional, manditory, $249 subscription fee brings the price way too high.

Be interested to know of any feedback from UTV owners who also get the new Replay TVs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The good thing about UltimateTV right now is that the cost is so much lower than the competitors. No one knows who the players might be in a few years so I figure the lower the investment the better.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Makes the $9.95/month seem like noise, given those prices.

Might be a blessing that M.S. is not planning on any upgrades to utv. If they can't add any annoying features, all the better. I'll be happy to just stay put for a few years.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't consider a Replay TV because I'm hooked on the dual tuner feature of UTV. Despite all of the added features, Replay TV still requires an analog source, which translates to lesser quality and single channel recording.

Keith

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree with Keith.......The "40-hour DVR" would translate to probably 10 hours at best quality recording, which is what we're used to with our UTVs. That's one reason I never went with ReplayTV or Tivo. I briefly considered the DirecTivo since it too records the digital bitstream direct to the hard drive, but at the time, they didn't have both tuners functioning, so I went (thankfully) to the UTV.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
A 40-hour ReplayTV should give you about 13 hours of high quality recording time. I have owned and upgraded several standalone Tivos, ReplayTVs, DirecTivos and UltimateTVs. Until ReplayTV started charging for a lifetime sub, I considered it to be the better unit with respect to the standalone Tivo. You will find defenders of both units pretty much equally divided as there are fanatic followers in both camps. As for the DirecTivo vs. UTV, I have only been using them for about a month now and I am leaning towards the UTV for everyday use. I think the Tivos still have the edge when it comes to setting up Season Passes but I don't mind setting up my recordings on a regular basis.

The DirecTivo is a hacker's dream when it comes to capabilities and unmatched features. I have just completed my first trials of burning DVDs using the extracted programs from my DirecTivo and they look absolutely as good as the original satellite feed. I haven't done much research on this forum but I get the impression that there is very little being done to try and extract the video from a UTV for burning to a DVD. If this could be done then it would really earn the moniker of "Ultimate TV."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.