AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with the sony VPL-VW100 ( Ruby) taking a very long time to start up?


I keep hearing a clicking sound which I assume is the trying to start the lamp.


Then it will rest for a while then try again.


This sometimes go on for a very long time before the lamp will actually start. Sometimes over 20 minutes.


Does anyone know if this is an issue with some part that needs to be replaced?


Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I had the same problem with my Ruby some time ago, and after some point it did not light at all anymore.

I called Sony Prime Support, they told me the lamp was the issue.

I tried a replacement lamp, and the clicking disappeared and the image appeared again.

How old is your lamp ? Was the fan power abruptly cut while it was cooling ?

You may get a cheap lamp-only replacement on eBay looking for Replacement Lamp LMP-H400 for Sony modules .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeji /forum/post/15460587


I had the same problem with my Ruby some time ago, and after some point it did not light at all anymore.

I called Sony Prime Support, they told me the lamp was the issue.

I tried a replacement lamp, and the clicking disappeared and the image appeared again.

How old is your lamp ? Was the fan power abruptly cut while it was cooling ?

You may get a cheap lamp-only replacement on eBay looking for Replacement Lamp LMP-H400 for Sony modules .

Hi.


I don't remember the fan being abruptly cut while cooling but it certainly is possible. I maybe have it for a few years.


How much did you spend on a new lamp if you don't mind my asking?


Thanks for your help .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydanger007 /forum/post/15470555


How much did you spend on a new lamp if you don't mind my asking?

The price given in the eBay link in my previous answer ($330).

Beware that you will have to remove the previous lamp from its heatsink and replace it by the new one. This thread explains how to do it, with pictures.

You may need some thermal paste (such as Artic Silver Ceramique) if you cannot recover enough from the previous lamp.

You will also need a Phillips N°2 screwdriver of at least 15cm / 6" length like this one .

The unmounting/mounting process is quite straightforward as long as you do not mix the pieces when remounting the lamp. Total duration is about 30mn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydanger007 /forum/post/15460441


Has anyone had an issue with the sony VPL-VW100 ( Ruby) taking a very long time to start up?


I keep hearing a clicking sound which I assume is the trying to start the lamp.


Then it will rest for a while then try again.


This sometimes go on for a very long time before the lamp will actually start. Sometimes over 20 minutes.


Does anyone know if this is an issue with some part that needs to be replaced?


Thanks for your help.

There is a "hard strike mod kit" for Ruby that can be installed by the Sony service. They did that with my Ruby and the startup hiccups are now gone. Try contact Sony Prime Support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Hi,


I am having this same problem with my VPL-VW100 projector. I bought the unit used a few months ago and it has been working well. there are about 600 hours on the lamp (according to the hours meter).


I was thinking about buying a new lamp and doing the replacement, but will I still have this startup problem with my projector? It sounds like it's not really a lamp issue? Is there something else going on here?


Should I take it to a Sony repair center? Anyone know of any good ones in Los Angeles. Thanks!

-Peter
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top