AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new receiver this week (Yamaha RX-A1030), and was hoping to later add a couple wireless speakers throughout the house to play music off of Zone 2.

While Sonos is an elegant, simple set up, I'm not a fan of (A) the price, and (B) the sound quality (for the money that is). I'd much prefer to use my own speakers. They have the Connect Amp, but man are they pricey. ($499?!!!)

There HAS to be a cheaper, but good wireless alternative out there somewhere, right?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I know they don't make them anymore and one would have to purchase used, but I am still happy with the flexibility and sound quality of the Squeezebox boxes...still rocking two Touch, two Duet remotes, and five Receiver boxes. Control is done with the Squeeze Commander Android app...works great! You can find the Receiver on eBay for $85 or so average but I would recommend getting a Duet controller for initial setup; it can be done without but is easier with. I prefer the Touch over the Duet and remote Receiver boxes, but the Touch does command a higher price. If you watch eBay you can get them cheap (my last one was $100 Buy It Now).

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. The Squeezebox fetches a premium these days! Shocked it's discontinued. Did Sonos get some serious patent protection or something? Amazing how they have the market so cornered with so few alternatives.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Check out Bluesound. Plays 24/192 files that Sonos cannot do.

·
Registered
202 Posts
While Sonos is an elegant, simple set up, I'm not a fan of (A) the price, and (B) the sound quality (for the money that is). I'd much prefer to use my own speakers. They have the Connect Amp, but man are they pricey. ($499?!!!)
You can use your own speakers if you get the Sonos Connect and connect it to your receiver/amp and speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can use your own speakers if you get the Sonos Connect and connect it to your receiver/amp and speakers.
Yeah, not spending $500 for each one. Still seems like kind of a rip off to me. I'm starting to think I'll just hard wire everything, run off of Zone 2 (easy to control with receiver apps these days), and get wall mounted volume controls. Instead of spending $500 a room, I'd be willing to fish a heck of a lot of wire before I do that.

The other thing I learned about is the Beep. https://www.thisisbeep.com/ Looks awesome, but why the heck isn't it out yet?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I looked around a lot for this. Frankly, there are not too many options outside of DIY something with a Raspberry Pi or similar. Squeezebox was both better and cheaper, but one of mine died. In the end, I chose Bluesound for the quality and think it is worth the money.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
If you are running it off zone 2 you could look at the Atlantic Technology WA-5030 wireless system. It is $400 for the transmitter and 1 receiver/amplifier, each additional receiver/amplifier is $200. Would be less than Sonos but not as good for control as Sonos. But if you are just turning it on for the house and don't plan on choosing your music from the other areas of your home it could work.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/products/wireless/wireless-accessories/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.