AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I have a Sonos related question but it is not just Sonos that's why I think this forum is the right one to answer this question.

My setup is: Samsung M9500 UHD Blu Ray Player -> HDMI to -> Samsung Q7FN TV -> Optical Out -> Sonos Beam

I chose the optical out since I have four devices connected directly to the four HDMI ports of my TV so the ARC channel is unnavailable. On the M9500 I can select the audio output codec to be either PCM, Bitstream (unrecoded), Bitstream (Dolby re-encode), Bitstream (DTS re-encode) and on my TV I can select the input source to be PCM or Bitstream and for Audio I have PCM, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+.

I know that Sonos only knows DD so I selected Bitstream (DD re-encode) on my Player, Bitstream as input on my TV but the Dolby Digital output selection is greyed out. On Netflix movies streamed with my TV DD is available as the output codec and Sonos recognises the 5.1 signal. Maybe my TV cannot passthrough 5.1 format from an HDMI source to the optcial I though but my TV does exactly that with my Playstation which is set to output DD and my TV pushes DD to my Soundbar.

Why is that not working with the UHD Player which can also send signals re-encoded to Dolby?

I hope my description of the problem is somewhat comprehesnible :rolleyes:

Thanks for your answers.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does nobody have an idea what the problem might be?

Today I tried to resolve the problem by using the HDMI ARC output of the TV to the beam with the same result as optical. No DD5.1 from M9500 through TV to Beam. PS4 and Cable-Box all work fine and the TV outputs DD5.1....

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Have you tried the UHD player on Auto or other settings and not re-encode? Does it work with PCM? I'm curious if you get any sound at all in the various settings or just the re-encode that isn't working.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ellebob, I now unplugged everything and plugged the devices back in. I tested a Blu Ray with DTS sound on the player and set it to Dolby re-encode and my TV gave me the option to pass it through as Dolby Digital 5.1 to the Beam. Although on streamed movies from my NAS it is a different stories. Some movies with AC3 sound will be sent by the TV as DD 5.1 but some won't and all movies with a DTS audio file will be just PCM to the Beam.

I really don't know what the Dolby re-encode feature on the M9500 is doing but it is not feeding a DD 5.1 signal to the TV for all media. What could be the reason for that?

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I think it is just how the player is designed or the conversion is built into the decoding chip for Blu-ray and not designed to have other media routed through it. I find most manufacturers don't think about people with NAS drives as most streaming is DD.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm that would be really annoying but I fear you are right. Even though I do not intend to upgrade my Sonos system to a surround setup I perceive a difference in the PCM and DD output from the Beam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts