AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do some multiroom audio through out the house and figured i would be using Sonos, but then I started reading about Play-Fi.

From what I can tell Play-Fi might do everything I want, but seems like it does not support spotify or soundcloud? If so that is a deal breaker...

Here is the layout:

Living Room:
Pioneer SC81
(3) Definitive Audio inwall LCR
(1) 15" Cube + Dayton Titanic MK4

Kitchen:
(2) Definitiva audio 8" ceiling speakers

Florida Room:
(2) Definitive Audio 8" ceiling speakers

Deck:
(2) Definitive Audio Outdoor speakers

Bedroom:
(2) Definitive Audio 8" ceiling speakers

What i thought i would do since the kitchen / livingroom / Florida room are an open space was hook up a sonos connect amp to the pioneer and run the Florida room speakers and living room speakers off the sc81 A+B mode, and then run the kitchen speakers off the sonos. This should allow me to run all 3 rooms from the same source or only the kitchen, off the sonos.

Then do the sonos connect amps for each other area?

I wish they made a larger sonos amp with like 4 or 8 channels lol ...

Does play-fi offer anything ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Sonos Connect that is my music source for my theater room and my family room/kitchen. I also have a Sonos Amp that powers my deck speakers.
I also just bought my in-laws the Polk Audio Omni A1 which uses Play Fi for their outdoor speakers next to their Pool.
We have had the Sonos system installed and working for around 4 years now and have not had any issues whatsoever. It is very easy to use and the app is very simple to navigate. It also has almost every music service you can think of. We use Pandora, Amazon Music, SoundCloud and Google Music. It also sees my network shares for my music collection (FLAC, MP3 320 and iTunes) and plays them without any difficulty.
When I bought the Omni A1 for my in-laws I bought it because it was less expensive than Sonos and I knew they would almost always just be using Pandora. It was easy enough to install but I do not like the system or the amp as much as I like my Sonos system. The app for the Omni A1 is not nearly as easy to use as Sonos and you have to install a DLNA server in order to serve up your music collection rather than simply being able to stream it off an already shared drive. There are also not nearly as many music services available. One other issue I have with it is that the A1 did not have an Ethernet port. You are able to use a usb adapter to hardwire but I don't like that it comes wireless only.

For your setup, I believe you would need a Connect for the Florida Room and Kitchen and a separate Connect Amp for the Kitchen. The Connect Amp only has speaker terminals and does not have any audio outputs on the Connect Amp. You would need Connect Amps for the Deck and Bedroom as well.
Are you planning to play the same source in all rooms or did you want to be able to use the zones from Sonos to play different sources in different rooms? If you were planning on playing the same source in all rooms, you could just get a connect and use your existing Pioneer to power your living room and Florida Room, then you get a separate multi channel amp for the other rooms.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i started looking at multichannel amps with the ability to use the same input for all zones (forgot what they call it).

I have also looked at chromecast audios + multichannel amps or a few of those class t smls amps ... $30 chromecast and $65 amps per zone...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sonos is the gold standard, but they don't license their software. I have tried the Dayton audio streamers, they work..sort of. can be kludgey. I am very interested in play-fi and the fire connect. I have been reading up on the BlueOS in the forum. I like the vault 2 a lot, but from what I have read about the app, I think I will pass.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also have used the Chromecast audio. works great with play music.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts