AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently purchased SONOS Playbar and did so a tad too quickly as I now realise I am running into some technical issues preventing true DD5.1 to my Playbar.

[UPC is my Cable TV provider in Ireland]

My setup is

UPC Digital + (No HD available yet in my area) - old PVR with Scart to Samsung UE40ES5500K Smart TV and Playbar connected to TV via optical fibre.

Blueray connected via HDMI into TV.

I also have two SONOS Play 3 hooked up with Playbar

My main question is am I reliant on UPC providing a specific sound format to me in order for me to avail of true 5.1 surround? Or is it irrelevant what format I receive from UPC and is it my SONOS Playbar which produces the 5.1 surround.

I know I need to upgrade PVR so as I have a HDMI or optical interface to TV but question is what else do I need.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm no expert, but from what I've been reading, the biggest offender when it comes to 5.1 audio not being sent to the Playbar is the TV itself. It seems that most TV's, regardless of input audio format, only output 2.0 stereo via optical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a Samsung SMART TV UE40ES5500K which in its specs states

Audio:

Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Pulse

SRS TheatreSound HD

Dts 2.0 + Digital Out Available

So is my presumption of it outputting DD5.1 inaccurate?

·
Registered
9,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob171171  /t/1469314/sonos-playbar-dd5-1-setup-frustration#post_23229302

I am running into some technical issues preventing true DD5.1 to my Playbar.

My setup is

UPC Digital + (No HD available yet in my area) - old PVR with Scart to Samsung UE40ES5500K Smart TV and Playbar connected to TV via optical fibre.
Blueray connected via HDMI into TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipNet  /t/1469314/sonos-playbar-dd5-1-setup-frustration#post_23231518

I'm no expert, but from what I've been reading, the biggest offender when it comes to 5.1 audio not being sent to the Playbar is the TV itself. It seems that most TV's, regardless of input audio format, only output 2.0 stereo via optical.

^^^ +1, from the manual:

● When you connect a Digital Audio System to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack, decrease the volume of both the TV and the system.

● Use the System speakers for audio.

● 5.1 CH (channel) audio is available when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1 CH.

● When the receiver (home theatre) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theatre receiver.

* When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Bluray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theatre receiver.
* If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theatre.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts