AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out about the new Olive Symphony player ( http://www.olive.us/p_bin/?cid=01_01_symphony ).

Any thoughts about this vs the sonos? I know lots of folks seem to have been asking for the digital out feature. also this unit reminds me of the audiotron...i like the form factor. But at this price, is the sonos a better deal?

I also wonder if the related Sonata can be hard wired to a network. They dont mention if their proprietary playlist software can handle tagging for other types of music besides classical.

Thoughts . comments ....

V

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There was a thread about the Olive shortly after the product announcement. I thought it looked interesting so I sent them a few tech questions. Here's a link to it that includes my questions and their answers. Many of my questions about the Symphony and Sonata were posed while thinking about what the Sonos can do. The UI isn't as slick (and no one really has put together something as slick as the Sonos controller at that price point) as the Sonos and they don't have the multi-zone tricks that the Sonos does yet, but they are the only solution I've seen in this category catering to classical fans.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link .... so you think the only benefit of the sonos is the cOntroller? and the way they implement their multizone system ...?

i can live without those ... however i am worried that the sonata can only connect wirelessly to the symphony. why not a hardwired networked option ...?

and more importantly, is this just for classical music? is there any tagging support for non classical music? are the tags updated over the internet?

i will email them tomorrow ...

V

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacquah
thanks for the link .... so you think the only benefit of the sonos is the cOntroller? and the way they implement their multizone system ...?
The Sonos Controller is a huge draw dor users. It allows people to control music in all zones wirelessly even if you're not in front of any zone. That and the fact that its a color screen and makes use of a scroll wheel have made it a hot item. That's a huge plus for some folks but I can definitely see how it wouldn't be all that important for classical listening. If you look at the Q&A from the thread I linked, you can see that the Olive folks haven't implemented a centralized control solution for all zones yet. Again, this is something that may not be so important to you and therefore make the classical advantages of the Olive products all that much more attractive.

Quote:
i can live without those ... however i am worried that the sonata can only connect wirelessly to the symphony. why not a hardwired networked option ...?
I can't say why they only went wireless but my guess is that they were thinking that with wireless support built-in to the Symphony as well, a wired connection wouldn't be needed. Additionally, since it uses standard 802.11b, it should be able to connect through to the Symphony via any standard access point if the Symphony is too far out of range.

Quote:
and more importantly, is this just for classical music? is there any tagging support for non classical music? are the tags updated over the internet?

i will email them tomorrow ...

V
They make mention of "The Symphony distinguishes between standard and classical music, and displays the relevant information for each music type accordingly." So, I would guess that it handles non-classical music just fine. I can't say if there automatic tagging pulls data on other types of music, but it would be surprising if it didn't. My guess would be that they would just get that info from a standard online CDDB source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.