AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation that I need some expert advice on. In my basement, I basically have a "cement bay window" (in other words, a half hexagon with no windows) where I will close it off with a false wall. On that wall, I'm going to hang an acoustically transparent (AT) screen, and put my front 3 speakers behind that (inside the bay window area). I want to build my own subwoofer and place it back there, too. Below the screen I was planning to have black AT fabric, so the sub output will not be blocked in anyway (except for a few studs). There's plenty of room, and I could care less what it looks like.

So my initial thought was to build a Sonosub, and not even worry about making it look nice (maybe paint it flat black). There's not enough room for it to lay down, so it would have to be down-firing. Does anyone see a problem with this installation/location?

Or any alternate design recommendations for a DIY sub in this spot?

Thanks,

Bill B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Willy. I am little worried that the shape of this area will create a kind of "megaphone" affect and amplify the bass too much. But I guess that's better than distortion or muffling, which I can't really correct here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to hear zamboniman! Curious - how did you design yours so that you can get behind the screen? I'm planning on build a small open "window" frame, and then hang the larger AT Screen just like a picture frame over that. Do you have any pictures?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.