AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I am interested in a sonotube build after reading about them but have a few questions.

1) Can you have too much interior volume? IE if you need 5 cubic feet but have 8 c.f in the tube

2) Are they all top ported? If so, will a tall ceiling cause more detriment than a martybox style where the port is closer to the ground? 

3) If not all top ported, are there side port or sealed options?

3b) What about a sealed, 2 driver opposite firing design (one top one bottom)

4) Is there a rule of thumb for tube size vs sub size? Example: 18" sub - minimum 18, 20, 22, 24" diameter tube?

Thanks so much! 

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I'll bump this for yuh..

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'll try to help...

go here:

www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm‎

and download that program. then you can play around with different ideas re: volume, tuning, etc.

that will answer some of your ?'s ... but basically

1) yes, but you cut off what you don't need, so you're left with what you want

2) yes, except for the ones that are sealed... and only if your tube is longer than the height of your room, unless you lay it horizontally, of course.

3) you could put the port wherever you want, but out the side would be much harder.

3b) yes, that's an option also

4) the tube has to be bigger than the driver, or it wont fit.

for sealed, use WinISD (also free to download), to model... just a different shape, but otherwise ... the drivers don't care what shape the 'container' is.

this is all meant in
, don't take it like
or
... because when you narrow it down a little, and figure out what you really want, we'll still be here to help.

Joseph

1 - 3 of 3 Posts