AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
PVC for the actual enclosure is going to be HEAVY!!!!

Could be pretty badass though!

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I'd love to do some sono based subs for the ease of construction, but they don't fit into my room design well. The PVC you have will be excellent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/19531686

PVC for the actual enclosure is going to be HEAVY!!!!

Could be pretty badass though!

Not as heavy as the box I would have built, but way stiffer! The piece these came from was almost 11 feet tall! It took 3 of us to haul it out to get cut down.

The sub amp that comes with the Rythmik servo drivers JUST fits the diameter of the tube too!

Greg

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/19532077

I'd love to do some sono based subs for the ease of construction, but they don't fit into my room design well. The PVC you have will be excellent.

May wrap the tubes in some mesa boogie guitar cabinet vinyl.

Greg

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Those are nice... with that thickness.I betcha they cost an arm and leg.

You can paint them any color you want... or put a fabric around them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/19532169

Those are nice... with that thickness.I betcha they cost an arm and leg.

You can paint them any color you want... or put a fabric around them.

$100 for all of it. That's 4 pieces of about 30" each.

Yes, if not vinyl, then they'll just get a textured black spray and be finished.

Greg

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
I've got a decent amount of that stuff at my shop in varying diameters. That stuff is nice and heavy!

I've read where some guys will take a finish nailer and shoot in a few nails through cardboard sonotube into the mdf end caps. Well, I wouldn't do it with the stuff you have unless you shoot the nails at least 1.5 inches away from the edges. It will crack believe it or not. If you go that route, the walls are thick enough to actually countersink some screws. That won't be a problem.

Post some progress photos of the sub when you get them!

·
Registered
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbegland /forum/post/19532143

May wrap the tubes in some mesa boogie guitar cabinet vinyl.

Greg

My friend Terry covered his mains in vinyl and they look pretty good. There's a thin layer of foam under the vinyl.
The Franks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Having seen plenty of mesa cabs, and heads around; and after seeing those photos of the nicely done job with vinyl makes me really want to see what you are gonna do with these. I can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/19590556

Wow, that's some nice pipe. What kind of "ringing" does it produce?

With both end caps fastened in place, it does not really ring much at all. If you rap the side of the tube there is a slight high freq, very short duration ringing sound, but it is WAY above the range that these will play in. If I find it is a problem, I will add some dynamat style damping sheets to the inside. Don't think it will be a problem though. Also, the inside will be stuffed pretty well with the Bonded Logic acoustical cotton anyway.

Made more progress yesterday. It sure takes longer to do some simple stuff than one could ever plan for. Picts don't look like much got done, but I was in the garage for nearly 6 hours yesterday working on these tubes.

First pict shows that the pipe is not perfectly round. I have no previous experience with pipe this large, so I'm not sure if this is common in larger sizes. Anything under 8" I've ever tried seemed to be perfectly round. Good thing I cut the baffle pieces oversized with the plan of using a flush cut router bit to get them smooth to the edge. So the outside baffle is now smooth, however, the inside backing is obviously off. Once final assembly happens, I will fill those gaps in with some silicon caulking. Front baffle is two layers of 18mm ply glued together, back is just one layer of 3/4" MDF.

Greg

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting closer.....they officially inside the house! May have sound tonight.

Good news. The Bonded Logic completely killed the slight ringing. Completely dead enclosure now.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul /forum/post/19600099

I'm planning a sonotube build in the next few months. I can't wait wait, I love building stuff...except while I'm actually building things oddly.

LOL, same here. I prefer the planning stage 10x more than the actual building stages, ha ha!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Nice work

What was your source for the Bonded Logic insulation?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.