AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a newbie... I have done what most of the people here have done. I have read, read and read some more. On paper I tried to choose a speaker... Had a couple mapped out and then decided to follow everyone's advice and went to hear them.

What I found was...whatever one hear has said again again... Its all about what you like.

I spent about 2 hours of my time today listening to the Paradigm SE Floor standards and Studio 60's... End result is...I wanted to like them. Forums, Reviews and everything on paper said they were great. In the end I went away a little disappointed.

When I played Soul Sister from Moulin Rouge I totally kicked the Studio 60's butt. It couldn't keep up with the bass and the bass muddled the rest of the song. When I played Barbra... Memories, Papa Can you Hear me...I didn't get the goose bumps I should have. Something just wasn't "right".

I also listend to the Vandersteen Model 2Ce. Talk about butt oogly... It is supposed to be all about the sound though...so I gave them a shot. Must better low end... Mid was a little muddled and treble seemed off. Not clear.

Didn't spend long on the Vandersteens so maybe I wasnt being fair to them. The looks threw me off so it would have taken allot to win me over.

I saw another shop down the street...so I stopped by.

First thing they wanted to show me was the Paradigm. I laughed. The sales guy went on to say maybe the speakers were not properly set up...and to give them another try. I asked him if he had anything else.

He said...well..you can try the Sonus Faber. Have you ever heard of them. Being a newb...I replied, Nope..never heard of them.

Then he started in on the sales pitch some...for music these guys produce an awesome sound stage...blah blah blah. This brand makes most of their speakers in the 20-60k range. This is the new budget line...its produce in China not Italy, but still has the quality the company is known for.

Thinking to myself, "ok..lets get the show on the road so I can go home...I'm tired."

From the frist notes I felt like the sound stage was HUGE. I lack the jargon to discribe exactly what I felt but songs like Soul Sister...that I heard 100x before and was getting sick of hearing again today...came alive. I listened to the whole song with a smile on my face.

I made the sales guy do an A/B test with the Paradigm. Took me all of 20 seconds to realize I never wanted to hear the Paradigm again.

Then the sales guy tells me that they JUST released a center channel for this guy...they didn't even have it out of the packaging yet. So I made the poor guy drag the center channle and the two speakers into his theater room and set them up for me.

The center isn't too big which had me a little worried. When I heard the PSB system...the sound stage seemed very small to me P6 with center. I know just how big centers can get any more and frankly in a HT system centers = god.

Now understand the center was not broke in AT ALL... We poped in the Transformers III BlueRay. Watched the opening scene. It was lacking slightly and I didn't think matched the 2.5 I heard in quality...just a 1/4 of a step down.

Overall the system gets an A- which is heads above ANYTHING else I have heard to date. They are coming out with a 3.0 model and wall speakers...so I may wait for that.

If you have not seen these speakers...they are VERY unique. Take a google image search.

Long post..so I will leave at that... Bottom line ...if you can audition these bad boys...give them a go. I read some reviews and it seems the 1.5 bookshelfs are equal and some have said superior in some ways.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I couldn't agree more with your posting.

I listened to these two days ago at the local Magnolia design center. I own a pair of CM9s that aren't performing quite so well right now ( there is a thread about it on here)- I am seriously debating exchanging them for the Venere 3.0s. I have a SERIOUS concern about the center though, for exactly the same reason as you did. I haven't had a chance to audition it yet but I guess we will see.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hello,

The only way you are going to see how well the center performs is in a 5.1 system. there is no way to listen to 3 speakers and make a final judgment.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i just saw the 1.5 and center last weeken, wow! what a sexy looking speaker. i didn't get to listen because time was tight, another time though.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic  /t/1455830/sonus-faber-venere-speakers-2500-pair-wow#post_23226829

Hello,

The only way you are going to see how well the center performs is in a 5.1 system. there is no way to listen to 3 speakers and make a final judgment.

Why not?

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic  /t/1455830/sonus-faber-venere-speakers-2500-pair-wow#post_23226829

Hello,

I was wondering about this remark too. I have a 5.1 system and my surrounds are from a different manufacturer than the front three. I know many others that carefully match the front three like I did but do not obsess about what they use for surrounds.

So why can't you judge a centers performance with only the front three speakers?

·
Registered
11,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer  /t/1455830/sonus-faber-venere-speakers-2500-pair-wow#post_23229594

I was wondering about this remark too. I have a 5.1 system and my surrounds are from a different manufacturer than the front three. I know many others that carefully match the front three like I did but do not obsess about what they use for surrounds.

So why can't you judge a centers performance with only the front three speakers?

You totally can. The vast majority of movies are mixed for the front three speakers, with the center speaker getting most of the dialogue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Went and checked these out again at Magnolia two weeks ago.

They do sound very nice, with clear imaging and a very good overall tonal balance.

I admit they are absolutely gorgeous, however giving them a little prod (physically) the cabinet felt light and "cheap"

It's just a qualitative trait, I still think they sound great.

For comparison the 3.0 version weighs around 47lbs, the B&W CM9s come in at near 60lbs.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Have to remember that weight doesn't always equal quality though. Just b/c a basket is stamped and not cast, doesn't make it inferior, etc etc. It'd be great to open it up and see the quality and thickness of the internals, along with any possible bracing.

Never heard these, but people are constantly talking about how good some of these Sonus setups sound

·
Banned
324 Posts
My Martin Logan EM ESL's only weigh about 35lbs. I almost bought the SF's myself,they do sound good. I don't like the shape tho,looks like the head of an alien,from the aliens movies.. grrrr :p The grille felt cheap and I wasn't very impressed with the center channel.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The Venere definitely sound great, but they look a little funky, and aren't built to anywhere near the quality of the made-in-Italy SF speakers. The material feels cheap and they are fairly resonant when knocking on the cabinet. I've been fantasizing about a pair of SF ever since I first heard the Auditor M a couple years back....while sound is most important in a speaker, the exotic "hand-made-in-Italy" thing is also part of the brand's allure, especially when you consider that SF makes (made?) the Toy line, which was built in Italy and occupied the same price bracket as the veneres.

·
Banned
324 Posts
I heard the Toy's also. They sounded really good. But too small and I didn't like the leather.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The center channel is ultimately what led me to settle on the CM9s, since I thought it was a serious weak link in the SF set. Such shame that they would put little effort into that dinky center channel.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sonus veneer 2.0 is better thsn 1.5 or 2.5 towers. Something special about 2.0s.

Got mine from magnolia yedterday for under 2 grand with stands.

Best soundstage ive ever heard on bookshelf.

Pick them up. Best buy for 2 grand bookdhelfs right now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Question on Venere's.

I can get demo's from a high-end SF dealer with full manufacturers warranty in white only for:

2.5 $1400

2.0 $999 without stands

I am leaning towards getting the 2.5's but as others have stated the 2.0's sound so sweet. Thoughts? I'll have to pay full price for the Venere CC.

These would replace 14yr old Def Techs BP6 which have served me very well. I heard the 2/2.5's with music and loved them but have not heard them in a theater setting. How do they hold up? Power will come from an Elite VS-80 that's coming out next month. Good size room that will allow both to breath. In-wall Def Tech's are not going anywhere.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Damn. $999.00? Id get them in a heartbeat. 2.0 has better soundstage and is not harsh like the 1.5 and the 2.5.

Does ur dealer have sonus faber olympica I demos? plz let me know thnx.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts