AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my Sony 12HT projector and my ATI AIW 9700 Pro, but I am having trouble getting a non overscanned 16:9 images using the dongle. I read the powerstrip guide above, and after I entered the 1080i settings, the results were unusable. Then while playing with the resolutions myself, the stock ATI resolution of 1667 x 1000 is almost perfect, just a slight overscan on the left. This however, is somewhat annoying when browsing the web. What are your powerstrip settings for the Sony 10/11/12 projectors?

Other things:

For web browsing/games/movies do you change the resolution on your htpc or do you keep it the same? I noticed with web browsing it was hard to read, but movies looked okay.

I played Devastation and Splinter Cell at 1667 x 1000 and it is absolutely beautiful. Are there any other games that can take advantage of the strange, but outstanding resolution?

I have *alot* of captured Enterprise and Smallville episodes in SVCD format (480 x 480) in widescreen. The SVCDs have big black bars on the top and bottom. Is it possible to zoom in or get rid of this bars on the fly using a program so that the entire 16:9 screen is used(avoiding windowboxing)?

My OSD seems to have dissapeared when changing sources and error messages (out of freq range etc), should I reset the projector somehow?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Jon,

Unfortunately at this time the ability to create Powerstrip customized resolutions with the ATI HD component adapter is quite limited. Within Powerstrip you should have some control over shifting the image right/left/up/down and may be able to do some squeezing. If I recall correctly, the native resolution of your Sony 12HT is 1366x768 which I don't believe is a supported resolution for the dongle (actually the driver for the dongle). While you can feed 1080i or 720p to your projector, ultimately the image will not be as good as sending a video output matching the projector's native resolution. While a contact at ATI assures me that they are in the process of addressing the limited resolutions of the dongle, you would be much better off with a transcoder at this time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm thanks for your help, it seems 1667 x 1000 seems pretty good at this time. A transcoder is a tad to expensive for me at this point, I am already 25% over budget and I still have to find a way to fit this AIW 9700 Pro card!

I was doing some searching here, Zoom Player is the program that will stretch my SVCDs on the fly. Its great!!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Jon,

Why you are trying to use the ATI HD component adapter with your Radeon 9700 to feed video to your Sony 12HT projector rather than connecting them directly via RGB? Using RGB directly from your PC to your projector would allow you to output a resolution which matches your projector's native resolution and thereby obtain the best picture possible. No dongle or transcoder required, just use Powerstrip.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Jon,

Agree wtih Rick. I have the 12HT and you should just use RGB and a custom 1368x768 powerstrip resolution. Search here for 11ht on exact PS timing parameters. The component dongle simply sucks and is cruel joke on those that try and get it working. I had one on my second HTPC for an HDTV and gave up and got a transcoder.

Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike & RTK,

I could not find appropriate PowerStrip settings for 1080i without virtual desktop kicking in(I checked that big Radeon thread). With the dongle however, I am able to get 1667 x 1000 with just a tad of overscan. Can either of you post your powerstrip custom settings?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Jon,

The key for producing the BEST image possible is a video output resolution which matches the native resolution of the display. This means your PC video card should output 1366x768 (or whatever the native resolution of the projector) and not 1080i. The projector may be able to accept a 1080i input however that is not the best input resolution to provide. I'm not in front of my HTPC but I thought 768p was a predefined resolution option in Powerstrip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RTK,

Yes, this is true however the predefined resolutions they give us don't work well for a few reasons. First, when in "computer" mode, the projector will only accept 4:3 resolutions up to 1024x768, and if you feed it anything 16:9 it squishes it into a 4:3 window. If you change it's mode to "DTV GBR", it seems to expects to see some "standard" (480i/p, 540p, 720p, 1080i) resolution and won't react to anything else. In addition, while in this "DTV GBR" mode, it overscans quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
It may require a bit of experimenting with Powerstrip but there is a specific timing which will not give you the 4:3 squeeze you are experiencing. Go into Powerstrip and try [email protected] with the projector in RGB mode.

You also might look here

·
Registered
374 Posts
I agree with just about everything everyone else said...

- get rid of the dongle you don't need it with the 12HT

- get a VGA -> 5 BNC break out cable and run that to the projector (if you need a longer cable use 5 RG6 coax lines for the runs)

- setup your res to [email protected] in powerstrip

- put the 12HT in computer mode and it will snyc 16x9 and look incredible

This is how I run mine and it works great.

-apnar

·
Registered
7 Posts
56Hz seems a bad refresh rate. Does it please you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.