AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, after using sony 1031 with HTPC for 3 months. I feel that despite it's great display, it has 2 great disadvantage :

i. Sound is inferior to stand alone DVD player.

ii. Not convenient to operate.

Therefore I am searching for a DVD player that won't cost a bomb and able to display an acceptable picture. I am looking at Pioneer 533K, S633A and S733A. Anyone using these model with 1031? Pls comment on the perfomance, by the way can 1031 take advantage of progressive scan from 633?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Curious--- Calvinci, How are you passing Audio to your system? Is it through a dedicated sound card?

Rob

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, digital out from creative audigy into Denon 1800 receiver, with 5.1 B&W speakers. Alternatively I can get a audiophile 2496 sound card, but if 1031 can take advantage of pioneer 633 progressive scan and 540 line display, I will go for it and sell off my HTPC.

·
Registered
16,584 Posts
calvinci ,

-- you will need either a Progressive DVD player that has VGA output [ like a Skyworth ] or a Transcoder for the component output of the Pioneer progressive player . Either way will work great but will not have the PQ of a properly tuned HTPC with a Radeon .

--- Best Of Luck ,

---- Jason Berg

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
calvinci,

Can you post your config of the HTPC, the hours on your tubes of the 1031 and the method of connection?

I find it hard to believe any DVD player within a reasonable amount will outperform a properly configured HTPC for this projector.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi Ramick,

I know DVDP won't better a HTPC but good sound also play a major role in my system. With current setup, the audio is definately inferior to stand alone DVDP. I am using RGB2 connection on my 1031 from a radeon 7500, Celeron 1.1GHZ, audigy, 128MB SDRAM and NEC DVD ROM. Software is powerdvd 4.0, tubes are pretty new. The image is very film like with this setup, but audio is not satisfactory enough.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Digital audio quality between a sound card w/digital out and a stand alone DVD player with digital out should be the same! In your case if it isn't it's a result of your setup, not the general method of using an HTPC to drive a projector. HTPC totally rips to shreds any stand alone in PQ. As for sound quality - the digital signal being passed to the reciever should be the same whether coming from an HTPC or a stand alone. Most stand alones definately have the edge in ease of use over an HTPC, but I'll sacrifice ease of use for amazing PQ. The 1031Q is an amazing projector. It's able to fully resolve DVD, it's HDTV capable, it's lightweight for a CRT, it lasts, and it's super inexpensive. In my opinion it's the BEST value in home theater projectors.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agreed with MYoung on 1031's and HTPC's PQ perfomance but digital signal from stand alone and HTPC is not the same and will never be the same. It's very obvious that from stand alone, the sound is much more spacious, clear and distinctive. HTPC sound is muddy and not as spacious. Even though in the 2 channel audio world, there are various CD transport costing from U$ 300 to U$10000, nobody would buy a high end transport if the digital signal is the same.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe Jitter reduction would help the Audio. Im one of those guys that have a hard time understanding that one digital stream sounds different than another. 1's and 0's from what ever source should sound the same. But it doesn't. Cable wars yadda yadda just seems to confuse the issue more.

Im in the process of building an HTPC with the information in AVS as a guide. I am concerned about this as audio is a major part of my enjoyment in this hobby. I have invested a considerable amount of time in trying to equalize both sides of my setup.

I am very happy with the composite input of my PJ but if I can squeeze more out of it via HTPC I am game. But not so game at the expense of the audio reproduction. Right now the audio in my system is set up in such a way as to make you forget a system is even there. This happens by an expansive detailed sound field. Shoddy front ends will collapse the sound field making things like dialog hard to understand.

I was considering either a 2496 or delta 410 from the feed back here. A little expensive, so I figured that I would try the zoltrix pro 6 card as I am getting anxious and want to fire this baby up. But now after reading this post I will wait and get one of the Delta products as this seems to be the defacto standard.

Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well I finally fired the HTPC up and connnected it to my system. I did settle on the AP 2496 sound card and I must say the system sounds great. Im still evaluating it with ATI DVD player and Power DVD 3.0 with XP upgrade. Right now the Power DVD passes DD and DTS and sounds very good. The ATI 7.6 DVD players has many issues with stability and sound reproduction and will not pass DTS. When DD is working it sounds good also.

Save for a slight wine in the system when using the HTPC the sound is as good as or better tham my stand alone Toshiba DVD player and Marantz LD player. All in All I am no longer worried about the Audio reproduction.

One more thing ---- the Video on my Sony1031 Q is stunning compared to composite. Now Ill never go back to composite input.

Thanks for every ones help here on the forum

Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Paul, No I haven't tried TT. I have only used the Players bundled with my hardware (DVD Drive, Video Card)or zoomplayer. I have noticed a few posts outlining problems with it (As if the others don't have problems).

I have fussed and fumbled with PowerDVD, ATI 7.6 and zoom player. Zoomplayer was promising as I was able to use the Ravisent video filters which look better than Power DVD. But I coulden't get Zoomplayer to use the PowerDVD audio filters so I got the same terrible Audio break up with the Ravisent SPDIF filters (Which I don't want). It seems that all the filter registration options in zoomplayer will not recognize Maudio AP 2496 for XP. I am wondering if this is due to the lack of digital authorization between Maudio and XP. Certain Maudio EXE files do not show up.

Is TT that much better than the rest? Do you think its the Power DVD setup that is causing the high freq. wine in my Audio system?

Sorry for venting just looking for answers as I am anxious to finish this phase of the project and sit down and enjoy a few good DVD's

Rob

·
Registered
281 Posts
rob,

unfortunately i can't help you much. im just starting my audio setup. Ive got a Denon 3802 that im going to feed with an orignal Soundblaster Live! (with the digital daughterboard) Im looking into the 24/96 cards but haven't decided what to do in that area yet. i was planning to try out the soundblaster and go from there. ive heard good things about theatertek. i dont know if they have a demo or not, but might be worth a try. Ive got XP,ATI Radeon 7000,and a WinTV card.

-paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.