AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since its last startup, yesterday, , I can't set any horizontal registration of my 1031 CRT. No center, no tilt, any colour... Nothing happens...

Is it a known problem? Can somebody help me?

Thanks a lot.

Fred:(

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've run into a similar problem - the 1031q I'm working on will not let me adjust horizontal bow, or horizontal skew on any color either. Also, all of my horizontal tilts do not work. I've been re-flowing the solder traces on the convergence and power board transistors as per guidance from the forum (Thanks to Tinman - that procedure fixed a few other problems!).

Can any of the 1031q crew out there point us in the right direction as to what could cause failure of the horizontal adjustment pots on a 1031?

Thanks!!

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Im thinkign GRAVYMAKER that if they were working previous to this that maby that little DIP switch for the tilt control has failed and the tilt controls are off?

Check the solder joints under that dip switch. I think this is problably unlikely as they dont generate heat but if your finding bad solder joints it might be possible, any thing is possible. Im not really an electronics tech, just an AV company with a little electronics knowledge and have been lucky enough to fix a few pieces of gear here and there. I also de funged a few tubes for these PJ's and completly retubed my 1031q.

Mabe one of the three lead jumpers has come loose, you know the ones needed to flip the image.

Ill keep thinking about this if I come up with other thoughts to help you out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks Vic - but in my case, I don't know if the horizontal pots EVER worked, as I just obtained this pj as a fixer-upper. And the vertical "tilts" work fine, so I think the Tilt switch is operating in my case.

I'll check the leads too.

(BTW - Sorry Fred - didn't mean to hi-jack your thread!! Let us know if Vic's suggestions helped.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
FYI - my leads looked fine - re soldered them anyway - no joy... any other directions from the 1031 peeps about where to take it further? The common theme is definitely horizontal pot problems...?

·
Registered
496 Posts
There are several possibilities I have seen on the horizontal section:

1) Open resistor

2) Bad caps

3) Bad potentiometer.

4) bad solder.

I realize that doesn't narrow it down much. If you have a schematic it will greatly help as you will be able to follow the signal path...

--Kieth

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks Kieth - that does help.

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic yet, I only have the Service Manual (from eboyz). I believe there are some pictures at the end of that, but not sure that I have the know-how to follow it anyway. My skill level is currently at "re-soldering and replacing" parts. But hey, a year ago, I couldn't do that! This board has helped SO much.

I'll be scanning the entire convergence board with a magnifying glass tonite, looking for open resistor's, or suspect Caps.

I'm still enjoying the hunt - any other boards I should focus on after the convergence board?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.