AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it's a slightly misleading title, and I'm not actually trying to retube a 1031. Well, I am, but....

I have an ECP 4100, which I love to bits, apart from the tired (ok, toasted) tubes. The blue is more grey than blue, and the other two are a bit better. I just picked up a Sony 1031 for £50 (US $80 ??) at a place that sells DLP's - they took it out of a boardroom and put a dlp in it's place. The 1031 looks like it has never been used - no dust, even inside, all shiny metal surfaces, and more important, TOTALLY IMMACULATE TUBES!!

So.... I want to take the tubes out of the 1031 and put them in the 4100, and vice versa, then sell the sony with burned tubes to a guy I know who just wants a big tv and doesn't know squat about PQ. Putting them in the 4100 is no problem, as I have retubed ecp's before, but what about the sony? Getting to the tubes looks much harder than on the ecp, and what about setup? I assume the procedure is similar, but I have looked on the forum and the net for a service manual or instructions on how to do this, and have found nothing.

If anyone has the service manual for a 1031, would it be possible to scan the relevant pages for tube replacement and post them somewhere? Beamer's site maybe?

Any help or advice would be very welcome!

Thanls in advance,

Tom Davies

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, I've now worked out how to get to the tubes, but the eht leads going to the splitter terminate in what look like different plugs to the ecp.

How do i get the eht leads out of the splitter in the sony?

Will it be easier to swap the plugs over, or to remove the leads from the tubes and swap the leads complete? If so, how do I get the leads off the tubes?

tom

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I have a manual for set up of the 1040/41 and I own a 1031Q.

There is no explanation of how to retube these things as the average joe isnt gonna do that.

You already know what sinvolved in retubing you just need to know how to get to the tubes.

If you open th ecover on the 1031 and "open" the top PC board you will be able to get to the "guts"

What I mean by open th epC boards is at the very back of the board (tward the rear of the pJ) are small screws that allow the boards to flip up so you can get to the second set of boards below them . You can open them up and get to the neck boards I beleive and unplug the tubes.

You will need to pull the front plastic frame off that the lenses poke through and then remove the lense block by removing some screws. The lense block is that sheet metal housing that holds the lenses on over the tubes. There are 2 screwes each on the sides and 3 or four on top? I dont remember. After you remove the screws simply pull up and forward on the lenses and the block will remove. You will see that there are some small boards and the two fans that you will need to unscrew as well to completly remove the lense block with out breaking anything.

After you get this far you should be able to figure out how the CRTs come out. I have never tried and I really dont want to :)

If you want I can scan the lense block removal sheet and e mail it to you as a word doc. (ill insert it on a sheet in word so you can print it out exactly as it is)

E mail me and let me know [email protected]

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I think the leads on the SONY just pull out of the spliter.

To remove the "spark plug" looking wire from the CRT you need to possibly cut off silicone and simply pull the plug off. It terminates liek a spark plug and it must be sealed and make sure if you break the seal you reseal them when you re assemble or there will be sparking big time! :)

It may be easier to just leave the plug on the tube and remove it from the splitter?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vic, that's pretty much what I had figured out. I've got the lens block off, so no need to copy that bit of the manual, but thanks for offering. Any idea what to reseal the leads onto the tubes with? I take it that normal silicone isn't good enough?

tom

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
When I had my 1031Q retubed the tech removed the leads from the HV block. You are supposed to push the lead in, twist 90 degrees and the lead supposedly slides right out. I tried retubing myself but got stuck at this step as the HV leads are really thick and the plugs are very stubborn. Why not just keep the 1031Q? It's a solid projector!

Check out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=100188

·
Registered
496 Posts
To remove Sony HV leads, push in about 1/8 inch, rotate the wire close to the connector 90 degrees, then pull straight out. The wire will be hard to rotate; rotate anyway. Touch the end of the wire to chassis ground to make sure you dont zap yourself before you get yar fingers to close to the end.

To re-seal the HV lead to the tube place a medium-thick bead of high voltage silicone (The silicone that sometimes comes with HV splices will work great)on the tube. Snap the HV lead on -the silly cone should squish from the edges- and let dry for 24 hours. Voila!

--Kieth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.