AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried using standard video input on PJ from DVD player I get a decent at best picture that scrolls diagonally with movement across the screen. I tried hooking PJ up to computer using extron sync converter on db25 conector. I get only green tube to fire using the computer and the image it projects is like snow on a TV. Have visited eboyztoyz.com and followed to a tee the instructions from begining to end and still have the same problems. Picture on standard input is slightly out of focus cant seem to get it better. and HTPC option still not working. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Equiptment list

Sony 1031q

Extron rgb120

P3 866 w/ ATI radeon 7500dv video card

Sony dvd player

80" 16x9 screen

·
Registered
733 Posts
Does your db25 have the correct pin configuration according to the BoyzToyz site (the db25 is NOT normally wired correctly for the 1031Q)? How are the "dip switches" set on the Extron?

I'm using an Iscan, so I can't comment on the HTPC.

Jawhn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i wired the db 25 exactly to boyztoyz specs. I used a DMM to verify every pin using continuity. The the extron has dip #4 upfor the neg sync. when this switch is off I have no picture what so ever. I have tried all other switches to see if any made the difference. Do you think the cables coming from Vid card to extron/ extron to PJ could be at fault? where would one aquire these cables if so?

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can check the PC -> extron cable with a multimeter, the manual for your extron box should detail the pin configuration on the extron input.

Extron box manuals are available for download at extron's website.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok tried that everything is wired correct from pc to extron and extron to PJ. still same problems. I am close to throwing in the towel so to speak and buy a new PJ. Anyone one else have advice?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So composite input is messed up? What about the internal test patterns? If the internal test patterns work then almost certainly RGB has to work somewhere along the path. If the problem is not with your cables, then you truly have an odd problem, though it has to be a simple problem.

Also, are you absolutely positive you have the Extron box hooked up properly? I don't use an RGB-120, I use an RGB-109 as it takes 15 pin VGA to BNC RGBS. So you have a cable that takes 15 pin VGA to 9 pin VGA? That very well could be your problem. Sorry I cannot help more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
internal test patterns work properly. Anyone know where i can get the cables necessary to connect from htpc to extron, extron to PJ? I really appreciate all the input so far.

·
Registered
198 Posts
OK - the Extron 120 user manual on the extron web site is somewhat brief:
http://www.extron.com/download/files...gb120p-man.pdf

However, if the 9 pin input is the same as on my extron 118 (can anyone confirm this?) then the inputs are thus:

Pin - Input

1 - Ground

2 - No connection

3 - Red

4 - Green / Sync on green

5 - Blue

6 - No connection

7 - No connection

8 - Horizontal / Composite sync

9 - Vertical sync

See the extron 118 user guide at:
http://www.extron.com/download/files...series-man.pdf

Use a multimeter to see if the inputs match up with the VGA outputs:

Pin - Input

1 - Red *

2 - Green *

3 - Blue *

4 - No Connect

5 - Ground }

6 - Ground }

7 - Ground }* Not sure which ground, or if all are equal???

8 - Ground }

9 - No Connect

10 - Ground

11 - No Connect

12 - DDC DAT

13 - Horizontal Synchronization *

14 Vertical Synchronization *

15 DDC Clock

* marks the pins that need connecting to the extron.

Also - you said you are using negative sync (good!), are you sure that you AREN'T using composite sync? Are you using powerstrip - there's a check box for composite sync under advanced timing options, make sure its not selected.

Pete

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also - if you connected a PC to the projector, you don't need an extron - go to a second hand electronic store, ask them to cut a cable off a broken VGA monitor and solder a 25-pin d-type connector onto the end. Thus any potential problems with the extron box can be eliminated.

This is probably overkill if you have the correct cables for the extron, etc, but if the extron cables turn out to be incorrect, it might be worth a try.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked pin outs on the cables, found that at least one wire had bad connection.(determined by wiggling cable while pj on) reconnected wires and shazaam I now have picture(kinda). The red fires brightly, green very dim, blue very dim. the picture(my desktop) is split into three equal sections and each section is an exact duplicate of the other two. again only in red on the screen.like three images out of convergence but in one color. My presumption is I have poor cables and I will try to get some better ones. one thing that I did try was adjusting the high freq control on the DA board and was able to get the three images to get closer to convergence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.