Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What exactly do the width coils adjust? Do they adjust the raster width or what? I am alittle confused on that.

Thanks

Jimmy

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, they adjust the raster width.

There are also pots on the convergence panel that adjust the raster width, but its best to keep the pots centered and adjust the raster width with the width coils.

Keeping the convergence pots centered reduces the convergence shift that occurs as the projector heats up.

Pete

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
hi, the coils you need are under the convergence board.you MUST use plastic screwdrivers(radioshack)...anything else and you will damage the coils and YOURSELF.

brickie

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yea, I've messed with those (with the radio shack tool). I was unware that they were a better source for width - that shifting convergence thing drives me nuts!

While were on the subject of centering pots, on the BA board (next to the convergence board) are 9 (?) yellow pots marked (color)gain, (color)bgk, & some others - any idea what they do, where they should be before starting a set-up.

Thanks,

Jim.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
DONT FOOL WITH THE YELLOW POTS!

I beleive there factory set and should never need to foled with as they are not user adjustments and I think you need meters and scopes to set them correctly.

I have been all ove my 1031's and will not mess with them. Ihave performed retubings and de fungings and I will still not go near them.

DAGAMEPIMP (Jason) posted a while ago unless you know what your doing STOP!

·
Registered
733 Posts
So how about a reference point on those pots from a couple of people who have there PJ really dialed in. For that matter reference points on ALL non-convergence pots would be helpful (pictures included). One problem with buying a used PJ is that you have no idea what the previous owners did with the settings. My guess is that a lot of PJ's get put up for sale because the settings are messed up and the owners don't know how to get them back. I read "DON'T TOUCH", but what if someone already did? It would be nice to know what each pot does so you could at least have some idea where a problem might be coming from. I do understand that settings are different for each PJ, but this would give you a starting point.

The blanking pots and the "magic" pot on the convergence board that gets rid of the line in the middle of the picture are good examples of USEFUL info on the pots.

I'm not suggesting you just start fiddling with these pots at random, but sometimes you have no choice. Obviously this would be best left to a qualified tech, but not everyone has the availability (CRT techs are getting hard to find), or finances ($600 to set up a $500 1031Q would be pretty extreme to most people) to hire a tech. :rolleyes:

Jawhn:rolleyes:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice idea Jawhn. I played with the (color)gain, (color)bgk pots, and made my color balance look much better - they had been fiddled with before. However, I found the best settings were with those pots centered (as Jason Berg suggested in a thread a few weeks ago).

I don't have a colorimeter, so those pots probably aren't perfect, but its good enough for my untrained eye ;).

Perhaps the collective knowledge on the functions and suggested settings of the "other pots" could be added to the www.eboyztoyz.net site? I'd be more than happy to take a few photos and write a short description of the "magic" pot. What other pots need descriptions?

Pete

·
Registered
733 Posts
The BoyzToyz site would be an excellent location for the info. See what you started Larry.

Regarding "What other pots need descriptions"? I don't know, and that's the problem. With all the tweakers and techs on this board there must be some people who KNOW or are willing to experiment to find out what ALL these pots do.

If your PJ is PERFECT and you've run out of tweaks and need a FIX, you could mess with all the pots, write down the results and re-tweak your machine back to perfection. ANY TAKERS!:D

Jawhn

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I tapped a meter off the yellow pots [gain] and found a negative effect when tuning them up/down , leaving them centered gave the cleanest signal to the crts . You can burn up a crt in seconds with these pots [ which is why I suggested that nobody touch them unless you know what you are doing and have the service manual - I was very careful and I am not the Yellow pot master ;) ] . Turning these pots up [ higher gain ] certainly made for a more distorted image [ all other controls at 50% ] . I was able to get a brighter image [ certainly ] but at the cost of image noise , and we all know noise is BAD . This noise was a sign of too much current to the tubes which is also very bad [ unless you want to cut your tube life in about 1/10th of what it should be ] .

-- This was just another day of madness with my test subject ... errr I mean 1031Q [ poor thing ;) ] .

-- PLEASE NOTE : I am not a tech , I am just a FANATIC tweaker seeking ISF certification so that I can be a CERTIFIED tweaker [ which some would argue that I already hold that status :) - and not the ISF part ] .

-- I will start taking pics as I can so that my quest for a 1031Q that performs like an NEC XG can be documented :p .

--- Best Wishes ,

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
733 Posts
Magic Pot: Convergence Board - from back of (ceiling mounted) PJ - top left

corner blue pot - OUTSIDE of MAIN convergence controls. For line problem is seems best to look into blue lens while turning SLOWLY (POOF! Line disapears, just like magic).

Jawhn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.