AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the opportunity to pickup 2 "as-is" Sony VPH-1041Q projectors. I don't even know if they power up. First, what would be a fair upper limit as far as price for the pair? I've never played with projectors before and didn't know if this would be a good place to start on the cheaper side. I'm looking to use it with my Xbox, dvl-90, D* and maybe my Dreamcast. Am I kidding myself? I love to tinker with things but didn't know if I'd be in over my head with these old 1041s. Please help me with my decision.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Sean ,

-- while those are nice little units they will not do line doubling [ 480p / progressive scan ] .

-- for the right price they could be fun to play with . These units usually go for $300.00 to $400.00 on Ebay depending upon the condition of the tubes . So if you can pick up the pair for $500.00 or less I would say it is a good deal . The tubes in these units are worth decent money if they are in good shape so you could always part them out if they don't work right or you wish to purchase a higher grade unit [ like a Data capable PJ ] .

-- Best Wishes ,

----- Jason Berg

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Yep, The cases might be differant then the 1000 series. I think those are smaller fanless projectors. BUT ! The tubes like Jason said are worth their weight!

The tubes are most likely the same or if not, compatible. You can either swap them out or even better sell them if there not cooked or not too well done.

If the rear "flap" door is intact on them and or the SONY rear plate is there I would like to make you an offer for them if you part them out!

Let us know if there SD-187 CRT's I know a few people here might be interested.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 1041 and I have bad tubes. They have lines in the phosphr that show up on the screen. The PJ is pretty simple after you mess with it while. Heck, I probably caused the lines myself. I see the 1041 PJ's on Ebay for 300 and up. I see websites that sell tubes for 250.00 for the red and green, 300.00 for the blue.

I have a playstation that use on it and its OK, nothing special, but the neighborhood sure gets a kick out of it. Seeing a game on a 8 1/2 daig screen is unusual.

I find that the PJ requires constant tweaking, not much though. It runs fairly quiet, although you will hear the fan.

I think it a good place to start. Upgrade later after you have had time to soak and know how much time you will actual spend in the room.

AWK

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, somebody was willing to spend a lot more money than me for 'as-is' projectors with no additional information. I'll be keeping my eyes open for other units, maybe 1031s. I'm dying to try a projector, but I should probably finish my dedicated viewing area in the basement first.

Sean

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I have some case parts for the Sony 10XX series in fair to good shape.

Whatcha need?

Curt

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Curt-

Well I'm debating whether I need to replace them. At this point I'm planning on building a coffee table to house my projector. So it would be enclosed. But the essential part I must have is the front lense grill.

It was smashed.

I could use a good cover assembly, too. But it isn't critical. That metal mesh grill has been dented up pretty bad on mine. I'm not sure if I can pound out all the dings.

And, of course, I'm missing the sony name plate on the tail.

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.