AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my first HT and am buying all new equip. I don't have 50k to spend and am really trying hard to pick the best projector around 5k. I can get a CRT from AV for around 5 but don't know if I want all the headaches. When I see a low end 800x600 lcd in the big retail shops they look decent to me and that is with much ambient light, my ht will have none. I don't need to watch sports so will be almost always full dark. I can get the Sony 10ht for $4200 with warranty if I act fast. Will I eventually start to hate this projector or have I just been warped by all the picture perfectionists in this forum. When I saw a Sharp high res lcd in the audio store I thought it looked perfect but maybe I was just in awe at the whole projector thing and wasn't noticing enough. I am seriously loosing sleep over this and about to go crazy trying to make the right choice. If you went through this and made your decision please tell me about it. One more thing, I hear a lot about the new Sanyo 60 but it is about $1800 more right now and I think the new Sony 11ht will be too. That will go a long way for my audio and decor. Would they really be that much better? PLEASE help before I lose my sanity

[This message has been edited by Polaris Freak (edited 06-21-2001).]

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think many of us lose some sleep over such a decision. I bought a 10HT a few months ago but returned it because I was not satisfied with the black level - dark movie scenes looked washed out or "flat" (all other scenes looked excellent). Overall the 10HT is a very fine projector and easy to use, AND at that price it is worth it. My guess is you will be happy with it. But we really should not purchase any projector without a moneyback guarantee (and hopefully no restocking fees). There is no way for you to know how a specific projector will look to you without actually seeing it in your home. Try to do business with a retailer that understands this and you will lose less sleep. Hope this helps...

Charlie

[This message has been edited by tropicalisland (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agonized over the same decision that you did and I have to agree with both tropicalisland and Tom.

When I got my 10HT (I think I got it from the same place you are considering - and their return policy isn't as good as MVS), I was VERY disappointed with the black level and I was trying to decide whether or not I should return it.

I didn't, and I'm glad I didn't.

1) I mistakenly set the brightness too high. I could see both moving bars on the Avia test pattern, and I thought that was correct. I guess I should've paid more attention to the instructions http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/redface.gif

2) Steve Smallcomb has come up with a BRILLIANT method of improving the black level while maintaining color balance and keeping brightness near its peak. You should really check out thebigpicturedvd.com forum about this.

Between those two fixes, I would be willing to place the 10HT up against anybody else's projector and not worry about being embarrased. Yes, I suppose that a DILA projector is darker, but it's not by much, and certainly not by enough to justify an extra $5000 ($8000 when you start talking about the extra equipment you'll need).

The suspicion on thebigpicturedvd.com forum is that Sanyo just used the same tweak that Steve Smallcombe came up with and they are charging an extra $2000 for it.

My only regret about the 10HT is that I didn't get it sooner.

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
61 Posts
One other thing - I completely agree about getting a progressive DVD player. I found it made quite a bit of difference. Of course, I didn't do any A/B testing, so maybe that is just psychological...

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm seriously considering a 10HT as well, but I have a question about progressive DVD players. I already have an interlaced DVD player and I'm also planning on watching a fair amount of sports off of DSS (hence I'm not as worried about black level as some). In this situation, wouldn't I be better off just getting a DVDO to line double both the DVD and DSS? Is the DVDO less effective for linedoubling than a comparably priced progressive scan (and is the sacrifice of DSS line doubling worth it)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same question. Scaler vs. Progressive Scan DVD? Please Help.

The Sony 10HT spec says that it will only go to 120" diag. My wife and I want 159 diag. We have to this Sony off our list. Any one has some experiance with Sony at 159" diag? please comment. Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
396 Posts
I also agonized over the decision especially I laready had a Proxima DX3 that was pretty good. I went ahead and got one off ebay from a guy selling direct out of Hong Kong. The purchase was very smooth and the price was great.

When I got it home at first I was dissappointed. Then I discovered the calibration web pages and gave it a try. It was a huge improvement for me. Then I did one even better and spent the money for a Dalite 100" screen (one of the grey ones). This made an even bigger difference, especialy on the space type movies I like.

Last weekend I setup the two projectors (Proxima and Sony) side by side and I was florred at the difference. With a similar size image, the sony absolutely demolished the image from the proxima. The Sony had better color, more brightness, no rainbow artifacts, less halo and the projector itself was quieter. The only thing the Proxima did better was that there was no screendoor - though this wasn't bad on the Sony. (Note that I was not using the Cinema black mode on the Sony for this test.)

Overall, I'd give the sony 8 out of 10 stars and the Proxima 5 out of 10. If I had the patience and money I'd look at a CRT but like the ease of the LCD and DLP projectors much better.

Larry

·
Registered
553 Posts
To aapremium

The spec from Sony is:

Screen Coverage: 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio: 40" - 300" (viewable area measured diagonally); 4:3 aspect ratio: 34" - 245" (viewable area measured diagonally)

I don't know where the 120" item came from.

Tom Pfarr http://www.toad.net/~tpfarr/Hometheater.htm

·
Registered
553 Posts
re: comments on progressive scan, doublers, etc....

What I really meant to say about using the 10HT with a progressive scan player was not the technology. The real issue is to use the best available input source that you can. However you achive that it does not matter. The 10HT with it's resolution shows the input for what it is. Bad input=bad picture, great input=great picture.

From bad to great I would rank the usual:

NTSC TV video (composite)

NTSC TV film (composite)

DVD interlaced (composite or s-video input)

DVD with 3:2 pulldown processing (480p component/RGB)

HDTV 720p or 1080i (component/RGB)

The performance of the 10HT DRC circuits is only exceeded when 3:2 processing may help on motion artifacts.

Tom Pfarr http://www.toad.net/~tpfarr/Hometheater.htm

·
Banned
299 Posts
I bought the 10HT 14 months ago and am on my 2nd bulb.

A week ago I met another member on this forum who lives near me that has a G-15 DILA running. We have both inspected each others setups..

Conclusion, The DILA properly tweaked is a little better picture. The Sony is almost a hair just not as good. I can live with the difference with "no problem" The Sony is the best bang for the buck. I think the new Sharpvision 16:9 DLP is going to be next on my wish list?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Laredo,

It would be nice to hear from that "other guy" to see if he feels the same way about the comparison. Can you get him to stop by and say a few words?

I'm not doubting your findings at all, it's just nice to hear both sides of the story for a more balanced perspective.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Polaris--

I've had a 10ht for a year. I love the brilliant, detailed and accurate image it presents. The screendoor effect is non-existent to me (my screen is only 45 x 80", maybe someone with a larger screen would have a different perception). The black levels are much better than the old CRT I owned before. The color rendition is superb. And, yes, I did look at some DLP and DILA presentation projectors as options. They were fine, too. But I didn't want to build a hush-box or invest in an HTPC or add special lenses to stretch anamorphic DVDs.

To each their own. I also prefer MACs to this clunky PC I'm typing on right now. Many on this site are passionate about the singular merits of certain display technologies. There is a definite bias toward DLP and DILA technology on the AVS forum because the general belief is that it will supplant LCD technology. Perhaps.

In the mean time, consider what you actually like to watch--movies or sports or whatever and go see that sort of programming on a properly set-up 10ht in a home theater store and judge for yourself.

I had a helluva lot of fun with my search for the right projector. So don't worry; you're not going to make a really bad choice unless you ignore your preferences and instead get intimidated by know-it-alls.

--Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
"I'm not doubting your findings at all, it's just nice to hear both sides of the story for a more balanced perspective."

Milori, if you want to check out my 10HT give me an e-mail. I live in Raleigh, too.

Polaris, I don't think you will regret purchasing the 10HT. I've had mine for 3 1/2 months and love it. If you tweak it, I don't see how you can hate it, unless you sit close and let the screen door bother you. I saw a sharp projector at a store in town and didn't think it looked as good as the non-tweaked Sony in the same store. I don't know the model number of the Sharp but it was about $3,000 more. Of course the Sharp may be tweakable, too. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Polaris

I have no regrets on my HT10 purchase. Sure there's better machines out there. The projector is so easy to live with - it's truly plug and play (with a few tweaks). My non-HT fanatic friends are totally blown away by it and the ones who are more familiar with this HT obsession say "so what's everyone complaining about, this thing rocks".

If you want to make the trip to ABQ I'd be happy to demo it for you.

good luck

Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
Polaris,

Can you tell me who is selling the 10HT at that price as I may be interested? It does seem, however, that the price should just keep going down as the 11HT gets closer to release.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.