AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here, and am incredibly impressed with all the info on this board. I'm in the market for a front projector (either DLP or LCD). Since I see rainbows all over the place, I'm leaning toward an LCD at this point (pending what we see at CEDIA this week re: 6 color wheels). It seems to me the 10HT and the PLV-60 have the largest following and have gotten the best reviews. Has anyone actually seen the two side-by-side, or can someone otherwise make a comparison for me?

Thanks--

Drew

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
PLV-60 is a later generation projector. It is brighter and has more contrast. With its recent price drop, it is an extremely good value.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I noticed the price drop. A lot of the earlier posts refer to the Sanyo not being worth $2500 more than the Sony, but the price appears to be basically the same now, so I'm wondering how those people feel.

Drew

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some said 60HT is using 10HT's pannel, but other said it's actually 11HT's. Which one is true? If it's 10HT's, why it has so big contrast improvement? If it's 11HT's, with almost same price of 10HT, 60HT will definitely be the best choice over 10HT and 11HT, am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have seen the Sony 10HT and the Sanyo (actually the Cinema 13HD) together. Both produce wonderful film-like images better, than any other LCD projector that I have seen. I currently own the Sharp XV-96U which was considered a top of the line 4 or 5 years ago. Both these projectors blow it away easily. IMHO the 10HT when in CinemaMode (lower bulb output) the blacks do appear deeper than the Sanyo (Cinema 13HD). Outside of that, there was no contest between the two. The Cinema 13HD had brighter more vibrant colors and produced a better image with Standard Definition sources (ie regular satellite transmission).

I had set up the Cinema13HD with the quadscan scaler. unfortunately I did not have time to really calibrate it well. the resulting image was a little bit soft. The 10HT was using a Miranda scaler to produce its image. The really amazing thing was that when I had taken the quadscan scaler out of the loop, DVD images became three dimensional, almost as if they were high definition. I did minimal calibration using the video essentials disk and the Cinema 13HD just came to life. The DVD image was supplied via a Proscan "DIVX" machine (Remeber DIVX, I figured it would be a collectors item someday) using 480I component video cables. The satellite was using a standard S-video cable. Depending upon the channel one was watching from satellite the picture resolution was either outstanding (not quite the quality of the DVD but very good indeed) or poor for channels like IFC where the source was not that spectacular to begin with.

For the 10HT the satellite image was poor at best. even for the better movie channels. The images appeared soft and grainy with the 10HT with less vibrant colors. Don't get me wrong the picture was watchable but it was like watching a new VHS tape, nothing spectacular. Then I had the lights turned on for the 10HT and that is when it fell apart. With full lights on the 10HT became unwatchable (even from straight on and no color picture when watching from an angle). Not so for the Cinema 13HD. With lights on it did lose some vibrancy in the colors and the edges of the picture appeared somewhat washed out but it was definitely watchable. Hands down the Cinema 13HD produced the better images. The only thing I wish is that I had more time to work with the quadscan and the Cinema 13HD. But I understand that the quadscan does not scale to the 1366x768 panel (no output for that configuration)

I did use a first generation DVDO doubler with the Cinema 13HD for satellite S-video. This did improve the quality of the image but it was not significant compared to what the Cinema 13HD did with its scaling. Both appeared to be about equal IMHO.

I was wondering about the differences between the PLV-60HT and the Cinema 13HD (I hear Runco has a version of it coming also, I'm sure that Runco will price it version out of reality). But the price drop I have heard is only from a single retailer who is dumping there projectors because they are first generation PLV-60s which need firmware upgrading, ie to resolve solarization and improve its scaling. Although I understand that the scalers are the same but the firmware in them is different. I guess that since the retailer has so many of them and they want to move them out before Sanyo puts out the upgraded PLVs they want to get rid of them. From what I understand with these PLV-60s, to match the Cinema 13HD one would need to bring on an outboard scaler like the DVDO iscan plus. Hence, I guess, the $1000 drop in price.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
David,

Thanks for the comparison between the 10ht and plv60. It sure would be nice to see how the 11ht compares. My understanding is that the 13hd and plv60 models are identical (there is a previous thread on this) - but if the firmware is different it should be upgradable.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yes firmware is upgradeable but from what I understand you have to pull the chip out rather then to download and reburn it. The projector was not designed for the firmware to be field replaceable. So for the average Joe who abhors opening up the chasis of a computer changing the firmware on the projector may be a nightmare.

I don't know what the warranty policy is. I guess if Sanyo is willing to send the chip out they must have confidence that the average Joe can swap chips correctly. Has anyone upgraded the firmware on the PLV-60 yet? Has anyone inquired from Sanyo about upgrading the firmware in the field by the consumer?

·
Registered
553 Posts
From my experience with the 10HT I would recommend using a progressive scan DVD player only when evaluating the image quality. The 10HT scaler works very well with 480p material. Also if you have not seen HDTV on the 10HT or equivalent projector you have not seen what the projector is capable of. Scaling up NTSC on a device with this resolution only shows the warts in the original source material. Look at HD source material and you'll never look at anything else.

------------------

Tom Pfarr
http://www.toad.net/~tpfarr/Hometheater.htm

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Code:
Code:
Does anyone know how to identify the New firmware PLV-60 from the old. ?/ I dont want to buy a dud.
By no means are you getting a dud by purchasing the PLV-60. You may not be getting the latest and greatest but it is far from a dud.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.