Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you 10HT owners..

What are you using for Progressive Scan DVD players?

Looking for the "best" picture I could get on this (assuming I go with a grey screen) and people have mentioned the Toshiba 6200 and Pioneer DV-37. Any others I should check out?

Thanx!

·
Registered
323 Posts
jstolzen,

I Love my SONY 9000ES with my 10HT.

------------------

Mark II

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the Tosh SD-6200 and love it with the 10HT. I have seen them for as little as $399 recently (I guess new models will be out soon). For the price, it is Terrific!!

Good Luck,

Dom

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The Ayre is based on a Pioneer transport and MPEG decoder and has the red chroma bug.

The Camelot Roundtable ($4k) and EAD Theatervision P ($3250) are the only two available players free of both deinterlacing artifacts and the chroma bug. The EAD was just discontinued and several can usually be found new or nearly new at Audiogon for $2000 to 2400. The Roundtable rarely is sold used or discounted below $3500.

The new Kenwood changers use the Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacing chip with frame buffer memory and the Pan MPEG decoder so they, too, should be free of artifacts and the bug, but how they perform in other areas, e.g., freq.resp., Y/C delay, ringing. etc. remains to be seen.

Players which use the SI/DVDO503 (Ayre,Camelot, EAD, Denon, Arcam) or the Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 (Krell, Kenwood, Skyworth) deinterlacing chips will have essentially flawless deinterlacing. Other chips, i.e., Genesis (Pan, Tosh, Sony), Mediamatics (JVC, Rotel, Apex), Pioneer (Pioneer, Ayre), show artifacts.

Players using the Pan MPEG decoder lack the red chroma bug (Pan, Camelot, EAD, Kenwood). Players using the Mediamatics chip (JVC, Kenwood, Apex) also lack the bug, but have artifacts. All other MPEG decoders have the bug to a greater or lesser degree. The Sage/Faroudja chip tends to mask the red chroma bug.

You should read the excellent report on prog players in Secrets by Stacey Spears and Don Munsill, including a shootout of prog DVD players which, incidentally, was done wth a 10HT.

They are right now doing Part II of the shootout which will be published in July. You may want to hold off on a purchase till it comes out.

Of the players mentioned in this thread: Toshiba-bug&artifacts; Sony-bug&artifacts; Pioneer-bug&artifacts; Denon-bug; Ayre-bug; Camelot and EAD-OK.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't have a Sony but a Plus 1100. Anyway I just bought a Panasonic DVD DVD-RP91N progressive scan player and it will arrive Thursday. It has very impressive specs such as 4:3 shringk function, picture control (brightness, color, contrast, sharpness), gamma correction, black level control etc. which you can check out at panasonic.com or onecall.com.

Manny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.