AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, guys. I own a 1251Q that I purchased about four months ago. It has about 2300 hours on it. I have read and followed every focus procedure I can find, and the picture looks good to me. However, I have seen a couple of references to being able to see the individual dots on the "E" screen pattern. I cannot make this happen on my projector. Should I be able to see these dots or is this reserved for the perfect focus people? Just wondering. The "E"'s are there and fairly clear but I only see lighter spots in the lines, not dots.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It must be pretty poorly focused, those are H's ;)

I couldnt get individual distinct dots either but you should get pretty close. Have you spent alot of time on your flair and astig?

Wes

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, see how poorly they are focused? Of course they are H's. I was at work and knee deep in other problems at the time. I spent quite a bit of time on them when I first got the projector. Three weeks ago I finally got a new screen and had hoped that would help. If anything it is worse! I have a DaLIte 1.3 gain screen. I can do some more adjusting, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't the HOly Grail or something. Actually I can see the darker areas that are the dots. Just wanted to bounce it off some of you pros first. I may have to just trade up a few notches on projectors.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
If you go into the H pattern with no input connected, but using input A, can you see the dots? Pick input B if you don't have two input cards installed.

Also, if you are running a 16:9 screen, did you shrink the SIZE to match the aspect ratio? If you did you may have squashed the dots close together. I left my screen set up as if I had a 4:3 screen (with the test patterns hanging off the top and bottom. I shrunk the image using RGB SIZE instead. This allows you to see the dots more easily as the H's are taller.

My 2500hr 1251 is pretty good, after modifying the flapping (thanks Wes), tilting the pj back so I use less keystone (impossible without modified flapping) and have adjusted the astig, again and again.

Now, with no input - internal freq, the dots are very clear. At 720x576 I can just make out the dots, and I can now see scanlines in bright scenes since the last astig tweak. I might have to scale up - to 600lines, or maybe 608.

So, it depends how you have set it up.

Mark

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's great to hear. I will try the "H" pattern with no input connected. I'll have to read up on the flapping you talk about. I appreciate the reply - from both of you. I'll continue to play and tweak this week end.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I tried setting the dots on the "H" pattern with no input and you are correct! I got the focus to the point I can at least make out the individual dots. I think I will leave well enough alone for now. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Also, backing off the contrast will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.