AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got the 1252Q, and would like to mount it on the ceiling, and was wondering how I should go about doing this. Is there a place online that sells the mounts for these at a good price, or am I better off with some sort of DIY kit from Home Depot or something. Please let me know, and if you've got a mount for sale, feel free to email me privately. Thanks

[email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
The mounts are available from a number of folks. New, they run around $300, give or take. If you are interested in DIY, then do a search on Unistrut, which many folks use to build their own mounts from. Check out unistrut.com to see what this stuff is - think erector set for adults.

I used unistrut to mount my 1252 (actually using a Chief projector mount) securely to my ceiling joists. Unistrut spans the joists, projector mount attached to it. Probably overkill, definitely not the cheapest route, but my family sits under it so I thought $400 seemed like cheap insurance.

Do a search on unistrut in the forum - you may turn up some good ideas.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I built my mount from Unistrut parts. Two shorter pieces of it across the width of the projector, bolted directly to the top with metric bolts, and two longer pieces lag screwed to the ceiling parallel to the length of the projector. The two sets of Unistrut are connected with threaded rod and "cone nuts", special Unistrut nuts that slip into the open side of the track and twist 90 degrees to lock.

The end result is I have a mounting system that allows me to slide the whole projector forward and back, side to side and even twist it a small amount to get the positioning exact.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Chris-

After playing w/ unistrut, I would do exactly as you describe - cheaper and probably more adjustable than my setup. One question - do you have the thread patterns and bolt lengths that you used to attach your projector to the unistrut? I couldn't find that info, was a green newbie, and that ended up driving my mount buying decision as much as anything...

I figured if you have that info, it might help the original poster...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cburfield
Chris-

After playing w/ unistrut, I would do exactly as you describe - cheaper and probably more adjustable than my setup. One question - do you have the thread patterns and bolt lengths that you used to attach your projector to the unistrut? I couldn't find that info, was a green newbie, and that ended up driving my mount buying decision as much as anything...
The bolts are metric, M8. There is a course thread and a fine thread available. This was course (I believe). I got a variety of different lengths and I think I used two 10mm and two 20mm ones. I managed to find these at Home Depot. The pattern and information is available on page 4 of this PDF file.

The upper and lower pieces of Unistrut and attached with 3/8" threaded rod and cone nuts. These clever little devices were at Home Depot as well, near the Unistrut. They look like this:

http://chrisw.homeip.net/conenut.jpg

They go on a threaded rod and slip into the UniStrut like this:

http://chrisw.homeip.net/nutandstrutout.jpg

...and turn 90 degrees to snap into the track:

http://chrisw.homeip.net/nutandstrutin.jpg

I didn't have time to draw it, but I have the cone nut secured to the threaded rod with a nylon locknut from below.

Then there is a fender washer and a regular nut above to lock the whole assembly in place:

. http://chrisw.homeip.net/nutandstrutwasher.jpg

I have an assembly like this in the UniStrut attached to the projector that is connected to a piece of threaded rod to an identical assembly that goes into the pieces of UniStrut bolted to the ceiling. By loosening the regular nuts (in blue) closest to the projector, I can slide the projector side to side. If I loosen the ones closest to the ceiling, I can slide the projector front to back.

The whole assembly looks something like this:

http://chrisw.homeip.net/overall.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG, you guys really went outta your way to explain it to me, thanks. I'm not entirely sure I'll use that method, since I'm currently in a condo, but I might, and just use the same thing once I'm in a house. I'll definately look into this method, thanks again!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anogaijin
OMG, you guys really went outta your way to explain it to me, thanks.
No problem. The question has come up several times before, so I thought I should take the opportunity to explain things clearly for the archives, as I'm sure it will come up again.

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure I'll use that method, since I'm currently in a condo, but I might, and just use the same thing once I'm in a house. I'll definately look into this method, thanks again!
I'm in a third floor apartment. I came up with this mounting method specifically to avoid cutting into the ceiling. The two long (6') pieces of UniStrut each have four 6" long 1/4" lag bolts into the studs above. This means there is a total of eight 1/4" holes in the ceiling. These are easily patchable - most leases allow for a particular number of holes up to 1/4".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.