AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a newbie to the forums. I have a Sony 1252q which I've always fed Y/C.

I have the opportunity to obtain a Faroudja VP250 doubler which I would be using with a Dish receiver Y/C output and component out from a cheesy DVD player. The Sony is in great shape and has both the IFB-11 & FB-12 input cards. What's required to make this combowork, and is it worth the trouble?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
If the Faroudja is cheap or nearly free, go for it. At least you'd have 480p - which, if your 1252 is in pretty good shape and set up well, should be a nice improvement in PQ. I wouldn't want to pay much at all for the Faroudja - maybe $100 or so tops.

On the other hand, you could throw the money at a good transcoder and a decent DVD player and end up with a better picture.

I'd say if you can see obivious scan lines now and the Faroudja is pretty cheap (i.e. almost free), then go for it. If you can't see scan lines much or the Faroudja is much more money, there are probably other places to spend your money - like a good DVD player and/or transcoder.

SC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.