AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if this was more of a projector question, or a screen question, but I'll ask here anyway. Seeing as how the 12xx series is popular here, I wanted to ask the 12xx users what kind of screen is better, a white or silver? I will have some amount of ambient light, but not too much. I'm thinking a white is probably better because of the nature of CRT, but wanted to ask you guys first. Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
anogaijin,

I would not go with a low gain screen.

A low gain screen is for a room with NO ambient light.

Plus, with the Sony 12XX projectors (except for the 1292) being 7" CRT units, having a big image (90" wide+) with a low gain screen is just not possible.

I currently have a Sony 1252Q projecting on to a 52"x92" DaLite HiPower screen (The gain is 2.8 I believe). I had to do it this way because I live in an apartment (couldn't ceiling mount it) and the only usable table position in my bedroom is projecting on to a 92" screen. I still have a few slivers of ambient light come in as well because my bedroom has windows (I currently use a combination of blinds and drapes to block out most light and watch movies only at night; will be getting some special blackout blinds after reading some threads in this great forum). I originally had a 52x92 1.3 gain screen and then moved to a higher gain screen. The difference was incredible! The only caveats to using a high gain screen is making sure everyone is able to see the image from the allowed viewing cone. On my Dalite screen, the viewing cone is 20 degrees. In my 13' wide room, the viewing cone was not an issue since everyone (even people sitting all the way against the side wall) are within the viewing cone. If you view the image from outside the viewing cone, you will get color shifting and some other bad effects. The other issue with high gain screen is the type of reflectivity. Depending on whether you project from a table/floor or from the ceiling, you will need to select a screen the reflects the light in the proper angle.

Vitaly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I picked up the unit tonight, and should be trying it out shortly. I am also in an apartment, but ambient light is easier to contol I think in my situation than yours. We'll see how it goes, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.