AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to adjust the lenses by adding strong springs behind the lens flanges? It seems to me that the lens could be adjusted by tightening the screws and the springs would hold it tight against the screw heads. I think this would be much simpler than playing with spacers and back nuts, and would minimize stress on the flanges. Any comments why this wont work?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi,

Well it's funny that you should bring this up, I did just that about eight months ago and posted it . You are the first person to bring it up, I have a Russian cousin who knows nothing about pj's but is quite an engineer. He watched me try to adjust the focus of my 1270 and came up a better idea than using nuts and bolts to try to adjust the flapping. We went Home Depot bought some medium springs took one and cut it into three or four

different lengths. Once we found one that was the right thickness, we went into mass production cutting up and making 16 springs. It's been a while but I think I had to use a washer to keep the springs in place. It was a little tricky to get the springs in place I think it was a two man job. I also strongly suggest that you take all the lens assembly's off and work from red to blue, it much easier to get you hands in . I also remove the power supply as set it in front of the pj to get it out of the way. As I recall the other trick was to use the plastic spacer as a guide to get the springs to the right thickness. If have to be careful not to put to much torque on the plastic tabs of the lens , you can snap them off and then have a real problem. So when I was done , was a able to get perfect focus in all corners, no I would be full of it , was it better yes, I have to say that to be a final judge the yoke adjustments of stig and focus have to done. But if you give it a shot ,let me know how you do. The real drag is the Sony engineers didn't build this into the design of the pj. It is the right way to do it for sure, the plastic spacers are a joke compared to this system.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 1270 and currently use the method Wes came up with. It takes awhile to get the hang of focusing and what corner does what, but the picture is a lot sharper that it was before. Plus it is easy to adjust, just pop in the allen wrench and give a little twist. Although coming up with the allen wrench that is long enough is tough.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.