Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a Sony 1270 but have a couple of reservations:

* no remote

* seller does not know the tube hours (can you easily determine this without a remote?)

* Bandwidth is 40Mhz - can this cope with HDTV 1080i at all (I read that you need a min of 50Mhz)?

I don't like my chances of finding a replacement remote in Oz so I guess I could buy a learning remote and get the codes off someone else's remote or buy a pronto and download directly off the net?

Ta,

Roscoe

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If the 1270 is the same as my 1272, there should be a remote that is attached to the PJ. All you would need to do is come up with a remote cable.

40 MHZ should be plenty to do HDTV.

Tube condition is everything, if they look good do not worry to much about the hours. Take the blue lense off and look at the face of the CRT. You can check all three, but the blue goes first.

Deron

·
Registered
87 Posts
A 1270 doesn't have an hour meter anyway.

Just take of the lenses and look at the condition off the tubes.

You can convert the internal remote to an external one, or you can buy a seperate remote.

I've seen one of the programable remotes which can also control this projector, but those remotes are really expensive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Takev,

Great website. I really like the hardwood racks. Thanks for the goss on the 1270. Can't believe there is no clock/meter! Oh well, visual inspection it is.

Ta,

Roscoe

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hey - make sure you remove the lens to see the CRT. With the 1272 you can do a quick check with a flashlight right through the lens (still better to remove lens) but with the lenses on the 1270 you can't inspect them without removing the lens..

Just a heads up!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello Roscoe,

Thanks, I just looked at yours, a very pretty room.

BTW, the racks aren't made from hardwood (new hardwood is illigal here), but made of softwood and then transparently painted red (very difficult to do right).

about the 1270 and watching DVD on it, you will need to get a line scaler of some sort to get a very nice picture. I have bought a Zinwel PV100 (which you can get in Australia I believe) for about 200 Euro.

You connect to this Zinwel with S-video or composite, and it will have a connection for VGA output, this you can connect to the 1270. It isn't as good as a HTPC, but it sure is worth its money, as it makes it much more user friendly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mike greer
Hey - make sure you remove the lens to see the CRT. With the 1272 you can do a quick check with a flashlight right through the lens (still better to remove lens) but with the lenses on the 1270 you can't inspect them without removing the lens..

Just a heads up!
Thanks Mike,

Never seen a CRT before, so what do I look for? Scratches, spots, marks? I may be checking out a 1272 on the w/e with 1000 hours (original tubes) including a ProVision line doubler for about $2500USD.

Anyone know about this line doubling unit? It's pretty cheap, selling at about $250USD. Should I drop it and go with HTPC instead?

Thanks

Roscoe

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OzRoscoe

Thanks Mike,

Never seen a CRT before, so what do I look for? Scratches, spots, marks? I may be checking out a 1272 on the w/e with 1000 hours (original tubes) including a ProVision line doubler for about $2500USD.

Anyone know about this ProVision line doubling unit? It's pretty cheap, selling at about $250USD. Should I drop it and go with HTPC instead?

Thanks

Roscoe
You can p/u the line doubler at videoprojectors.com.au

for $595 AUS there in sunbury Vic

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Roscoe,

I've had my 1270Q for about 2 years and I like it better than ever now that it got back from the shop after a cleaning and grayscale calibration.

Quote:
Never seen a CRT before, so what do I look for? Scratches, spots, marks?
Once the lenses are off you should have a lense cloth or tissues and carefully clean the face of the CRTs. Yes, check for scratches, spots, or marks. They would affect the picture quality, however, "burn-in" is what you are also looking for especially on the blue gun. Look for anywhere from a light rectangular discoloration on the face of the tube to a very dark discoloration.

Little or no discoloration = best.

medium discoloration = still useable

heavy dark discoloration = major burn-in. may need new CRT.

I run my 1270Q from a Radeon equipped HTPC directly into its RGBHV inputs using a Bettercables.com 25' DB-15 to RGBHV cable. When you take the time to learn about, setup, and tweak these units they can show an excellent picture even up to 80" wide or so. Search here for info. There are tons of great tweaks and tips.

Mark H

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Delicious2
...I run my 1270Q from a Radeon equipped HTPC directly into its RGBHV inputs using a Bettercables.com 25' DB-15 to RGBHV cable. When you take the time to learn about, setup, and tweak these units they can show an excellent picture even up to 80" wide or so. Search here for info. There are tons of great tweaks and tips.

Mark H
Thanks Mark,

You raise a very important issue: max screen size. I was hoping to create an image of 8 x 6 feet (120inches) on a freshly painted wall. Is this possible with the 1272? If so, what would be the throw distance? I'm sure there must be a site somewhere.

Ta

Gatherer,

I'll check out that site right now ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't answer that last request...I found PJCALC. Very handy utility!

Interesting to note that the 1272 factory setting is for 120 inch diaginal screen... exactly what I am after :p

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
OzRoscoe - The CRT wear is very apparent on the blue tube - you'll know it when you see it. Wear on the Red and Green tubes is harder to see - look closely. If the tubes are a consistent color across then entire face you are in good shape for the most part. Also if you take the lenses off you can power it up (careful! don't fry yourself!) and put on the darkest sunglasses you can find so you don't blind yourself and check the tubes during the warm up screen... If you can't see any darker 4:3 rectangles you are in great shape... I may have some pictures I could send you if you need them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
254 Posts
it's not hard to get a remote for a 1270, Hammerhead has them for $150 US and I would most definitely get one if you are serious.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OzRoscoe

Ta

Gatherer,

I'll check out that site right now ;)
His site at present does not have them listed But I know for a fact he has them for that price his site has his Mob or email him

if the 1270 has no remote I would be looking for one original remotes are a must IMHO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.