Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i have just bought a sony 1271 an try to setup it perfectly. I have read the guidline of Huy Kuo many times an tried to accomplish the advices. (sorry of my english i am german)

Now my problem: It is told to center the raster to the phosphor. But i just don´t understand the difference between the raster and the projected image. For example: If i take RGB as input signal an center the image of the HTPC by pressing ZONE ADJ G vertically and horizontically to the phosphor. Is this the same as centering the raster ?

Please give some qualified help to me.

Best regards Peter

·
Registered
620 Posts
Peter,

I think centering the raster means that the raster "test" pattern has to be centered inside the tube itself. Only way to do this is in the PJ's service menu. Tune down the brightness and contrast, look straight in the tube, and you will see the raster pattern. Fine tune the raster in center as good as you can.

Best regard's

Rolf

·
Registered
912 Posts
A raster is the active image displayed on the face of the CRT. Reduce the blanking so that you are sure that you are seeing all that is active. Blanking can remove or cover an image/raster. You should remove all blanking before doing any set up. Do not leave those settings set at max or min and shut the projector down/off. It could cause an error when you try to start it back up. Never leave any setting at or near the limits (min or max).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hallo Tim Wilkins and RolfHult,

very thanks for your answers, but i searched a possibility to conter the raster/projekcted image on the phosphor vertically without using the ZONE ADJUST R G B in the service menue.

Yes blanking i have all decreased so that no blanking is effectiv.

If i adjust the raster vertically i have a value of 180 instead of 128. It is very often mentioned that it is better to adjust the raster by "poti" (i don´t know the right expression) so that the electronic is not "stressed" so much.

So how can i vertically move the raster on the phosphor without ZONE ADJ ?

Zone ADJ will do the fine tune work in the range of 120 to 140 after centering the raster roughly on the phosphor. Where is the electrical poti or something similar ?

Peter

·
Registered
620 Posts
ups...I'm still very newbie in this, mybe Tim can help you...

I got my PJ last weekend, and are still trying to figure it out :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

there are so man owners of Sony 127x. The problem of centering the raster on the phosphor with Zone ADJ nearly at 128 must also be solved when changing a tube is necessary. There must be a solution.

Where are the Sony 12xx masters ??

Regards from Peter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello kal,

the two links are very good links to understand the difference between raster and projected image.

But sorry to say they do not answer my question at all. The intenion of my question is:

I want to center the raster/picture vertically so that it is centered on the phosphor but not by ZONE the adj G Buttons.

If i do this i get at 180. This gives the elctronic much to do and produces drift/convergence problems.

I still search for the electric or mechanic method to center the raster vertically with my 1271.

Imagine you would change a tube. After built in you realize the raster ist too much at the bottom (not centered). Would you take remote an set ADJ G to 255 yust to center. Of course no. There must be another possibility.

regards Peter

·
Registered
852 Posts
I own a 1272 and I don't beleive that you can center the rasters mechanically on the tubes, it must be done electronicaly with the zone controls. Go here http://www.mooneyass.com/ and download mooneyass setup manuel which gives a very detailed guide for setting up a sony 12xx.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello fs123,

very thanks for your post, but i have already loaded (an read many times) the excellent manual you mentioned.

But he doesn´t say anything to solve my problem.

Sorry, but your answer that there is now possibillity, only the electronical i can not accept.

Elektcronic has always only a small range to adjust. The rought setting is always performed be mechanical, magnetical, or DC Volt adjustment with potis.

regards peter

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Maby Curt Palme can help with these Qs

He's problably bussy with his pro audio business, I havent seen him post in a few days.

I am afraid that with all the adjusting of the magnets on the tube necks that you may have thrown the projector way out of range. Until you get one thing set correctly I dont think it is possible to make other adjustments properly.

I know you have another thread going about setting astig right and I think until you do that youll have to wait to get the image centered.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello VR Audio Systems,

you are right, my main problem until now is the adjustment of the astig. I just tried to get knowledge about raster centering because after having astig adjusted this would be the next step to do.

Regards Peter

I hope that one of the profis of the board will have a answer to my question, maybe during the next days.

Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The only thing I have ever adjusted is the electronic adjustment. I did look through the service manual to try to find where it could be adjusted. The only thing I could find was where a Vertical Shift pot was at on one of the boards. There are 6 on the board total but none of the others reference the Horizontal Shift. A call to Sony service may clarify this.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sorry for the delay in replying I have a Java Certification classes during the week in the evenings along with school board meetings. I occasionally forget what day it is too.

The board on the Sony VPH-1271Q that has the vertical resister is the DA board. There are six variable resisters, RV1 - AFC; RV2 - F-V; RV3 - Video AFC; RV4 - V.Hold; RV5 - Shift; RV6 - Focus. The DA board is seated on the right side (viewing from the front) between the green and red crt's. Those resisters should be located near the top according to the schematics. On page 221 of the service manual it explains how to adjust RV1, RV3, and RV4. On pages 144 thru 146 it explains more about those resisters. The only thing I see stated about the RV5 is this: Because timing of front porch and back porch in video signal is different, VIDEO V.SHIFT signal is used to adjust (using RV5) picture position to come to the center of screen.

I thought somewhere someone has the complete service manual in PDF format. Let me know if you need more information.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Tim

Great reply, this is new info to me and I will be applying it soon and will document it thoroughly in my manual.

roommaker,

let me know if you need the service manual and cant find it online. I do have it but it's 32 MB, if I recall correctly, so I'll have to upload it to my website. I'm currently working on www.mooneyass.com but havent gotten much uploaded yet. I'm doing a major update of the manual and the Sony 12xx faq I've been promising. PM me if you need it and I'll upload asap

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.