Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

From a ceiling mounted position, I am going to be attempting to perform as precise a mechanical adjustment as possible with my Sony vph1271Q projector. I have read the document by mooneyass, which has been very helpful.

I will begin by centering the rasters on the crt faces. I will then place the appropriate crt spacers for my screen size. I understand that this will not precisely align the crt's on the screen. Thus, shimming of the crt along with the spacers will seemingly be necessary.

I have done a search on this forum and found many questions about how to remove the power and hv blocks. Most seem to suggest not removing them, but merely using a long screwdriver to get at the screws.

My question is this. Can I get back far enough to shim the CRTs with the hv and power blocks still in place? I would think not. If not, can someone tell me exactly how to remove these blocks(i.e. which wires need to be removed?) Once these blocks have been removed, will the projector still function? If not, how can I shim the CRTs to align them on the screen without a test pattern running?

Sorry for the long winded question. I'd appreciate any help!

Sincerely,

Kevin E Snyder
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
Hey,

A long screwdriver will help for the lenses and once the lenses are off it's easy to get to the stuff behind them. Taking the lenses off while ceiling mounted can put some unusual stress on the ceiling mount so hopefully it's designed to hold three of four projectors.

I have a 1271 and have had the lenses off several times to clean them and to try to adjust astig on the tube faces directly. I haven't mechanically aimed the tubes or lenses though. It seems like it would be an incredable amount of work. You would have to re-install the lenses after each operation so that you could see the effect.

If you take out the HV block as well, it's a whole lotta work. parts of the harness have to be disconnected and things need to be unscrewed if I remember correctly.

Good Luck,

Brian

Brian

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Kev,

You should be able to shim the CRT spacers with everything in place. What I did was loosen the 4 nuts that hold the CRT's in. Then I just placed shims until everything lines up. You can buy thin washers and cut them (so they're like a C) so you can install them without removing anything.

Keep in mind that if you are shimming the CRT, you wont be able to get perfect focus using the stock spacer rings. Then you'll need to do the flapping mod. Well worth your time, takes me about 2 hours to do the mod and do the mechanical centering. For someone not so familiar with the PJ it'll take longer but shouldnt take longer than a evening. Well worth the time, I could see scan lines clearly at 666p, 700p was almost perfect.

Good Luck,

Wes

PS I'll try to get around to one final installment of the manual, including the mechanic alignment. I no longer use this PJ so I better do it soon before I forget it all ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Wes. That was the info I was looking for.

Just a couple of other things I'm unclear about. I understand cutting the washers to make them c-shaped. The question is, will I be able to get my fingers back far enough to place the shims with the lenses on and the power and hv blocks in place? If so, then I think this step is taken care of.

I'll try to read more about the lens flapping mod from your document. I'll post again if things are unclear at that point.

Thanks a lot!!!

Sincerely,

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.