AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got what I think is a steal on an older CRT projector. $50. I figured even if it doesn't work out $50 isn't that much to lose. I haven't gotten the projector yet, but I had a few quick questions.

Will an Xbox 360 hook directly to it with the VGA output? Also, I have seen several different solutions for component to RGB with the 5 BNC connectors. What would you recommend?

I am not totally new to this, as I have a Benq PB6100 and an Infocus X1 that I have used for my basement projector, but I've never worked with a CRT type projector, but at $50 I figured I'd take a chance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like you have taken the first step on a LONG journey. CRTs (in my short time with 2 of 'em) require some fussing with to get set up. You may never be 100% satisfied either, but that is part of the fun. Look for a decent used scaler on ebay. You should be able to find one for under $100. Make sure it has 5-bnc out, and can accept component in. I also have a VGA to 5-bnc breakout cable that I used with a MCE pc. Sorry no experience with the x-box.

There are other options as well, but I don't have experience with them.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
$50 is a great deal if it's in nice condition. If it is in good shape, and you're patient and willing to spend the time to learn about (and practice) setting a CRT up properly, be prepared for a colorful, silky-smooth picture that will blow away the pic you're used to from the X1. Seriously, the X1 will look like a child's toy compared to the picture you'll get from the CRT... especially with HD content or 360 games.

Good luck, and be sure to look around Curt's site - lots of excellent info for newbies!

SC

·
Registered
580 Posts
^^^What he said.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Patrick, had a slow day at work yesterday?

Great post!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Pick up Graham Johnson's setup dvd (available from PM graham, or curt's website)

Its for a 1292, but alot of things are the same and shows the right order and way to do things. well worth the money!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! I hoped to get a response or two, but I didn't expect one that required that much time to read. I really appreciate it.

I picked it up today. Decent condition, about 5K hours on the tubes. So I figure I have plenty of time left with it if I choose to keep it.

Played around with it in the garage just to make sure it would even fire up and realized that I have a long road ahead to get it setup. But that's half the fun, right?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have cut and pasted Patrick's wisdom into my master Sony 12xx guidelines Word document that includes all the nuggets I have found from the web. Great bit of advice that is hard to dispute.

However, I have to put in my $0.02 on the screen I selected. I was shooting against white painted drywall in my old house - and now I'm throwing onto a Richvision 1.3 gain 100% pure white motorized screen (120" diag. 8' wide 4:3) in a dedicated theater room. The difference is to me, well huge. There is always some tradeoff to consider. Good part is a brighter pic that jumps off the screen at you - colors are vivid and true. The bad is there is a hot spot in the middle of the screen that shows up when the image is somewhat uniform grayish. The hot spot is picking up the dimmed red CRT and gives a somewhat reddish gray reflection. Very strange, but I haven't tried anything to tune it out yet.

Setting up a CRT right can be a challenge that requires a great deal of patience - but also extremely rewarding. As Patrick said, sticking to the fundamentals gets you most of the way there.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.