AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SONY 1252 that has only 370 hours on the 3 tubes,and also I have the 1272 that has 6,500 hours.I was wondering if anyone in my situation,which projector is better?No burn on the 1272 tubes and also the 1252..They are both in perfect working condition.Any sugestions will be appreciated.Thanks KC>>>

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would personally stick to the 1252 for low hour tubes. AFAIK there's no difference between them two except for the software which will give you higher scan rates and 21(?) convergence zones instead of 9 .. I have even heard some people have upgraded the software on the 52's for full 72 spec....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AXE,What if I go into HTPC.does it make any difference for high resolution.Thanks KC

·
Registered
76 Posts
no problem. it will indeed make a difference on how high resolution you can use, but I think you'll actually be satisfied with the 52 will give you. these 7" will look good arround 600 horizontal lines, some have had good results up to 700 lines but I think most people run it lower.. So you should pretty much be fine with the 52..

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey,

The hour meter really doesn't tell you much. It can be reset and it doesn't tell you anything about what happened during those hours either.

If I were you I would check which has better focus. Then, I would remove (carefully) the lenses and inspect the tube faces directly for wear.

Then, when I determined the best 3 tubes I would put them in the 1272 and put the others in the 1252 and sell it. (Actually, I would keep the 1252 as well as it's usefull for parts if ever needed and also as a second projector if you have room for it.)

But, hey, that's just me.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Of course, check the tubes! I was just going after the hours, and if those hours aint 100% reliable, like you don't know if someone have messed with it or not, you need to check the tubes as Brian said.. I don't know, but a friend of mine told me it's possible to swap the rom which holds the software, that would be alot easier than switching tubes.. but I'm not sure since I've never owned a sony myself and havn't done much research..

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I agree w/ Brian.

The 1272 has 21 point convergence whereas the 1252 has 9 point. You want the 21 point.

1272 will handle a higher input frequesny. Not that you really need it.

Terry

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everything GUYS, I found out that the SONY 1252 came from an original owner(1 owner)He didn't use it too much.The case is in mint and inside of the unit is clean no dust.The tubes are also clean.I will have to play around on different part of the 2 units,which it will take me a little while to pick which one I should use for my main VIDEO SOURCE.Thanks a lot KC>>>>

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I like Mooneyass's idea. Stack 'em! That would be a smokin' setup! You could get a HUGE picture and if the 1252 focuses well (which judging from it's condition it should) they would probably line up well. You'd have to stick with the lower resolution of the 1252 and run that through them both ideally though an HTPC or scaler and setting up a stack requires careful planning and unless you are crafty you will probably be looking at floor mounting them both.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you set them up together on the floor.2 level rack and tilt the top projector down unyil you get them align right.Any info???Thanks KC

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Pull the system cards out of the 1252 and exchange them for the 1272. That will upgrade the 1252 to 21 point convergence, but it will read the higher hour count.

Sell the 1272 to a friend only so you cannot be accused of tampering with the hour meter, or keep it for spare parts. Some boards are interchangeable, others are not. Swapping system boards is a lot easier than swapping tubes.

Curt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks CURT,Can you tell me how to find the right card for the 21 point from the 1272.Do I have to change anything on the menu for this type of application??Any help will be appreciated.KC>>>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.