Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

my sony 1272 projector(non-isf'ed) is pretty far from my screen(more than 14ft back). thus i have to "size"(shrink) and "shift"(upwards) my picture to make it fit on my home made 16:9 screen. thus, the picuture is smaller and is on the lower half of the crt. the projetor is currently on top of a 4ft tall stereo rack that's behind my sofa. i'm in an apartment so ceiling mounting is not an option. i thought about floor mounting, but my setup is so that there would be very little walking space and some major furniture moving to deal with.

so far a major benefit of this set up is that even with a 480p signal, there are little to no scan lines since the pic is small. by the way, i'm using a skyworth dvd player via the vga out.

brightness is actually pretty good since i only watch movies at night. also, after i turned down the gain, i can still get a pretty bright picture at 40 brightness and 70 contrast. with the gain on factory defauts, my bright was 35 and 45 for contrast. better numbers for contrast and brightness but with the factory setting for gain, the picture looked hazy.

i took off the blue lens the other day and noticed that the 16:9 picture takes up exactly the lower half of the crt. fortunately no burns yet. i am concerned that this uneven phosphor wear will really messed up and shorten the life of my tubes. perhaps later on when i ceiling mount it i can set it so that it uses the upper half of the crt face.

what do you guys think? should i be worried?

thanks,

hiko

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Well yes, you should!

I'd say in 1500 to 2000 hours (maybe less), you'll see some blue tubes wear. I'll bet when you will flip the image you'll need to use part of the worn raster, and get a bluish edge on the picture.

Then you'll be back whining about looking for a good used blue tube..:p

You don't say how wide your screen is, but I'll bet you're back about 18" more than you should. Set it up for the right rthrow distance. Your image will improve and your wallet will thank you.

Curt

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Stop using it the way it is set up now. Download PJ CAL from Sony and get the right distantance set up. Right now you should be projecting onto a 11' wide screen being over 14' back. You want to use as much phosper area as possible. And not seeing scan lines is a bad thing.

Go do your homework and let us know what you come up with.

Deron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.