AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it is between trying to resurrect my 1272 (and adding a HDMI input card) and buying an Epson 8350. For what it is worth, I have a completely light-controlled room and would be driving it from a standalone player.

Thoughts?

Oh, and by the way I am also posting this same message over on the Digital

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
How much would it take to get the Sony where you want it? If we are talking $100 into a Sony vs. $800 for the Epson I might go with keeping the Sony. On the other hand if you are looking at $400 for "resurrecting" the Sony then I'd go for the Epson. Also condition is everything so if the Sony has worn tubes etc, I'd probably for the Epson as well.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by secstate
How much would it take to get the Sony where you want it? If we are talking $100 into a Sony vs. $800 for the Epson I might go with keeping the Sony. On the other hand if you are looking at $400 for "resurrecting" the Sony then I'd go for the Epson. .
the Epson seems to run around $1200. A brand new Moome HDMI card is $350.

If the sony needs tubes your better off replacing it. IF it just needs an HDMI input card then you can put $900. in the bank. Depends also if you have other issues with the Sony like too soft or too dim.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am quite fine with the light level of the 1272 and in all likelihood what it would take is the moome card... I believe just the input board is toast. I have an email into the guy to find out what their return policy is because I am not entirely sure. The tubes have about 2k hours on them, and while there are some mild burns on the blue tube, it has never been a problem except when watching the wide expanses of snow in Fargo.

Re: softness, what are people's opinion about the softness issue with 1080i signals? What are people's overall opinions about the picture quality differences between the two?

Thanks,

Colin

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
well first off the Moome card still uses the projectors internal RGB circuitry, so if the input board is bad the Moome card will not go "around the problem"

if that's what your thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin /forum/post/19606103

Re: softness, what are people's opinion about the softness issue with 1080i signals? What are people's overall opinions about the picture quality differences between the two?

Thanks,

Colin

There were a couple of local guys who ran 1272's here a few years back. I thought the pic was OK in light output and OK for sharpness back when everyone was scaling up DVD to 1080i. However on my 8 inch EM focus 8500 the scan lines are way to distracting at 1080i and I'll run either 720 or 1080P.

I guess what i'm saying is if you have a burnt blue tube AND a bad board then move on. Either get an LCD if the juddery motion doesn't bother you or, if you like CRT, a complete 8 inch EM focus CRT with Moome card already installed for about the same price.

any investment over a couple hundred bucks in the 1272 at this point is flushing money down the drain IMO.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I am getting the distinct impression I should pack up the 1272 and go over to the BRIGHT side.

Thanks guys

Now if we could just get the guys in the digital section to be as friendly as the folks in the CRT section...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I had a 1252 and spent hours calibrating it. The ae500 I replaced it with was MUCH sharper and brighter. Granted, I probably wasn't the best at calibrating, but with the limitations of that unit and the money you'd be throwing at it, I'd definitely go digital.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin /forum/post/19617695

Yep, I am getting the distinct impression I should pack up the 1272 and go over to the BRIGHT side.

Thanks guys

Now if we could just get the guys in the digital section to be as friendly as the folks in the CRT section...

yup, different crowd different atmosphere. With "new/better" models coming out every year it becomes a pissing contest to see who can own the "best one".

With CRT we're more interested in upgrading and maintaining our machines so many threads generally deal with upgrades and tweaks to the the machine that's already on your ceiling. Of course that's assuming you already have an 8 or 9 inch PJ or are willing to get one. Almost no one is messing around with the older ES sets anymore.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/19618471

The ae500 I replaced it with was MUCH sharper and brighter. Granted, I probably wasn't the best at calibrating, but with the limitations of that unit and the money you'd be throwing at it, I'd definitely go digital.

no offense but that's actually a pretty awful bench-mark even for LCD's. 720 Pixels with 1300 to 1 contrast ratio is rather awful for movies IMO. Even an 8 inch air coupled CRT would be a huge leap forward to a more cinematic experience.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
no offense but that's actually a pretty awful bench-mark even for LCD's. 720 Pixels with 1300 to 1 contrast ratio is rather awful for movies IMO. Even an 8 inch air coupled CRT would be a huge leap forward to a more cinematic experience.
Like I said, I know I wasn't the best calibrator, and aside from worse black levels, it was much sharper and brighter. Just my experience.

·
Registered
568 Posts
interesting thread. I have a sony 1272q that I have had since about 2001 that is still working perfectly and has maybe 3000 hours on the current set of tubes. However I'm really looking into the epson 8350 as an upgrade (possibly two of them to allow me to do passive linear 3d).

I'm moving the theater area to a different space so that is what is prompting the possible upgrade.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/19624243

Like I said, I know I wasn't the best calibrator,.

not so much about calibration really. I guess what I was trying to say is I feel like you missed the best of CRT. The G70/G90 replaced the 12XX series adnawere a huge leap forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/19624243

and aside from worse black levels, it was much sharper and brighter. Just my experience.

that's all true,I would probly pick a new 1080 LCD over the older ES focusing sets too. The biggest problem with the older ES sets was the focus would get softer the longer you ran the tubes. That was addressed in the md 90's with EM focusing. here's a screen cap from one my customers 8500's after a few hundred bucks worth of tweaks. 1080P @60Hz.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Even with the 9" EM focus tubes coming down in price, once I saw what I could get with a 10lb shoebox, there was no going back for me. I had lost the desire to tinker, and just wanted to enjoy my home theater.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EJ... I've gotta say that I am lamenting the loss of that ability to tinker... as I (probably) go over to the bright side.

Doesn't someone want to try to convince me to go up to a 9inch from Curt Palme?

So, if I wanted to spend a little more money than an 8350 what would I want to look at? Do I have to go up to the cheap JVC? I am intentionally asking this of the CRT group since I suspect we have a similar aesthetic as compared to the digital folks.

Hey, maybe we can get the AVS dudes to create a "Digital for CRT" subsection of the CRT forum. Digital chat with the CRT mentality...

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin /forum/post/19687969

EJ... I've gotta say that I am lamenting the loss of that ability to tinker... as I (probably) go over to the bright side.

Doesn't someone want to try to convince me to go up to a 9inch from Curt Palme? ...

the cheapest 9 inch Curt has, the ampro 4600, is double of what you were looking to spend on the Epson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin /forum/post/19687969

So, if I wanted to spend a little more money than an 8350 what would I want to look at? Do I have to go up to the cheap JVC? ...

there's also 8 inch CRT which I personally would choose over the Epson. The JVC DILA I saw was really good too, small and quiet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts