AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem I'M having is the internal zone/test pattern is not centered left to right in the raster. Looking into the tube with with everything at 128 factory setting, the zone centering test pattern is shifted to the right edge of the raster so that when I set up registration the image is also shifted to the far right edge of the raster.

Now following a pj clean up site out of the UK, it instructs to reset system memory by reseting the #1 dip switch on the system board. ( This works fine but be warned it also zeroes out tube hour counters).

There are four dip switches on the system board and a micro switch. To reset pj memory it instructs to set #1 switch to off,press micro switch,return #1 switch to on.

Don,t know if this may be the problem of not but working without my glasses and brain engaged:D I reset #4 switch instead of #1.

I can't find any reference to the function of these dip switches in the manuals. Before I start fooling around with them again, can anyone tell me the function of these switches?

Or if there is something else I need to do to get the test pattern centered in the raster.

I plan on hanging this beast today and would love to get this corrected while still on the ground. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
hey,

There is reference to those switches in a chapter of the Service manual. If you found Chapters 2 and 4 online somewhere I think they are covered at the end of Chapter 4.

Anyway, if you have the lenses off (or I guess even if you don't.) you can center the zone 1 of each tube and then do a reset of all zone values to 128 and the new centered position will take the 128 value.

That is if you can get the rater centered before running out of adjustment.

Before trying the zone adjustment you may want to center Green as that will re-set lots of values to defaults. You may have done this already but it's done by pushing both red and blue center at the same time for a few seconds til a message comes up about center RGB and at that point you push the right and lelf keys at the same time like you would to reset any of the data.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Brian.

Yes I have tried the green centering data reset to no avail.

I'm not clear about adjusting the zone centering in relation to the raster. Are you saying to move the test pattern within the raster and then do zone data reset when I'm centered? I think I have enough adjustment to center the pattern but am concerned about running the raster off the left side. Could I adjust in two steps maybe?

My daughter downloaded a service manual for me last night (203 pages) but I must have a incomplete manual as what I have has little or no written instructions other than some safety items and is primarily parts list and schematics. It has no listed chapters so I'll look for some additional service manual info.

Now I'm thinking about resetting #1 switch again to return all memory to factory default again but don"t that this will help as I had reset the memory after fiddling with the wrong switch before. Am I chasing a ghost worried about that # 4 reset. Would like to know what these switch functions are for, so if anyone has a brief description please help.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
raster moves with zone but zone always stays put on rh side of raster. Now being a newbie and all, I,'m calling the dimly lit image underlined by a bright scan line @ bottom of tube the raster. Is this right? assuming I'm viewing the raster correctly again the problem is the zone centering pattern is all the way to the rh side of the raster leaving about 1/2 inch of "raster" to the left of pattern as viewed thru the lens. Shifting the zone pattern to the left brings the raster also to the left which means if I center the test pattern left/right on the tube, I'm afraid I'll run the raster over the edge.

When I reset the zone to factory default(128) the raster is centered but not the test pattern. If I set registration in this position and feed a image the image is on the rh side of tube,and the warm up image is also shifted right (is over the rh edge).

My screen is coming Monday and I would love to get this pj on the ceiling today but I need to resolve this problem first.

Somebody save me:D

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Hey,

I don't have but a moment right now so I don't have time to read your above post but.... I have the same pdf file of the service manual that you have and that's not really the thing to be having. What you need is the easy to read easy to print chapters of the service manual found here...

http://www.biggerhammer.net/mediaroom/

Look down the page for chapters 2 and 4 of the service manual.

-Brian

ps. Sorry things are busy at my house just now.. I'll reply proper later.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Don, I think k your worrying about nothing. Just centre your actual image on the tube face using ZONE 1, the values will not be 128, they never are.

You can't move the raster directly on a 12xx Sony, you just move you image, and the raster follows along.

Also, check that you back your blanking off (BLKG), this could be getting in the way, but like I said, I don't think anything is wrong.

Don't reset it with the switches!! Just manually go into every setting for each colour, (SIZE, LIN to ZONE, etc) and press left and right arrow together.

Make sure you do ZONE 1 for each colour, and one of ZONE 2 and above.

Doing ZONE position no 2 (or higher) will reset all of the zone data, while doing zone 1 just does the centering (I think).

Do it twice, as the first time it will ask if you want previously saved data, the second it will ask if you want factory preset data (this is what you want).

Brian, I wasn't aware that resetting ZONE 1 would align a centred image and make if take the 128 value - wouldn't it just move the position of that colour back to the 128 position? Have to try it!

Mark

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Hey,

Last time I tried it.. it worked that way. I was able to center the test patterns and reset zone data to 128 and suddenly the centered test patterns were at 128 for H and V. I didn't think it worked that was but apparently it does.

-Brian

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
If the electronic centering adjustments do not correct the problem then you may need to adjust the centering magnets on the yoke assembly of the CRTs. Check the service manual for doing this.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Have a look at the tube spacers !!!! If the tube spacers are not the right ones for the size screen you are running, then you are trying to correct the image position on the screen by moving the raster, when in fact the raster should be centred on the tube faces and the tubes should move to make the traces appear over the top of each other. (in the center anyway) There are three size spacers Small, Medium and Large. Check which ones are in your machine against what size they are supposed to be for the screen size you are running. I think you will find they are wrong if the raster is off the edge of the tube to centre the pattern or raster on your screen.

You will be able to tell if this is the problem cause if you lift the brightness up you will see the edges of the tube very dimly outside the screen and I bet they are not superimposed.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
There aren't any centering magnets on a 12xx sony, only the 2 and 4 pole magnets. Centering is done using the electronic controls.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Graham, I think your jumping the gun - Don is trying to get the image/raster centered first, then he will need to check the size of the spacers.

After he has his image/raster issue sorted, he will need to shim the CRT spacers to align the colours with the image centered.

Mark

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My point is that you should center the rasters with the zone controls forget the test pattern.

Then reset the tube shims to get the test pattern one over the other. All this is assuming the test pattern is actually in the same spot on all the tube faces.

The fact is that if you center the raster and use the raster edges to set "TOE IN" they should be correct.

Now if the test pattern is not centred then there must be another way to set the test pattern position on the tube face which we dont know about.

I dont think I am jumping the gun at all cause this is an issue with the Barco I am setting up at the moment. The test pattern signals are not in the same position on the tube faces when the raster is centred.

The only way you can set it is to center the raster on the faces for each colour. Then set the toe in on the other tubes so the rasters are superimposed. If you dont do it like that then the edges of the raster on the red and blue are scanning over the tube edges. The raster centring controls are off to one side to center the raster on the tube face.

So essentially I have been wrestling with this as well.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got everything dead centered. I did have to reinitialize the shift center values following the instructions in chapter 4 ( anyone who has a 12xx needs to go to the biggerhammer site if you have'nt already) of the service manual.

The spacers and shims are not an issue as I'm using a 96" wide screen which is what the pj is defaulted to and has original spacers installed.

Again thanks to all, this forum rocks:D

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Don, is that on page 208? (if you can see the page no.)

(d) Adjustment of SHIFT (l/r direction only) data of cross hatch with no input signal?

That's pretty advanced!!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes Mark, sorry I took so long to reply. Put a long day in at work trying to pay for my set up;) .

You know reading and re rereading the service and set up manuals got me to wondering. Nowhere among all the quite detailed adjustment procedure descriptions and warnings are any admonitions regarding the danger of running the raster over the tube edges. Does the 12xx models have a automatic safeguard built in that prevents one from catastrophic tube failure?

Don

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Most just say "dont do it" but stop sort of a full out warning. The fact is you can run the raster over the edge provided the picture image area doesnt extend over the edge.

Its the energy in the beam that determines whether this is an issue. Not the fact that the raster is there at all. You should aways use the blanking control to ensure this never happens anyway.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Hey,

If you follow the measurements in the manual or use PJCALC to determine the throw distance then it's very likely there will be a significant distance between your image and the edges of the tubes.

Better to set up the image to maximize tube use (with a little margin of unused on the sides) and then determine throw distance.

-Brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.