AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to go look at a Sony 1272Q available locally tomorrow and I would like to arrive armed with as much information as possible:

The unit has:

Top right burn on the crt's...seller calls it a "TC" burn and I'm not sure what that is and if it applies to all 3 tubes or just one...waiting to hear back from him.

No remote is included

5000 hours on unit

Otherwise in fine operating condition...so he says.

This will be my first projector and the price is good to me at $500.

Are some crt burns not that apparent while viewing?

I'm thinking that if I run it at 16:9 most of the time it may be possible that the burn does not even show up at all...depending on where the exact burn is....am I correct?

I want to set it up to display the smallest image possible which I belive is 70" affording maximum brightness and due to room constraints as well....If I do this what would be the dimensions of the 16:9 screen? I'm just going to get that Parkland Plastic material from Home Depot and tack it up.

Also can I just feed a straight signal from my DVD and LD player into it for the time being? What kind of adapters will I need to do this? I'm in need of a new computer so I'm going to be putting together an HTPC within a month or two but for now I just want to be able to play with it and figure at the small screen size it might not be THAT bad?

I think it was ceiling mounted so I'll have to revert the display for tabletop...is this hard to do?

I figure the remote isn't that big of a deal if it's going to be table mounted?

I understand that quite a few of you have elaborate and expensive systems which I'm sure are awesome...perhaps eventually I will too....but for now my budget is rock bottom and so I ask that you respond with that in mind....the screen and HTPC(when built) will carry over to any subsequent projector upgrade.

So I'm really only asking if $500 is not too bad to give me something to play with and educate myself with that may(I hope and will see) project a very decent image afterall?

If the tube burn isn't too bad should a 1272 be able to project an image better than a modern rear projection TV at similar brightness?

Lastly should I pick up a progressive scan DVD player...I ask this because I just got mine(no prog. scan) last week and can return it easily....so, for an unprocessed signal would that be the better way to go for now?

Sorry for all the questions and than you for your time.

Walt

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes, if you are not using the tube area with the burn, then you will be fine. If the image is sharp and tightly focused, 5000 hours is about mid-life for the tubes, then yes the 1272Q will project an image that is far better than your mass market rear projection display. You can connect your DVD player directly to the Y/C (s-video) input on the rear of the projector and it will work fine. If you wanted to do progressive scan video you would either need: a video scaler, home theater PC, or a DVD player with RGBHV outputs that you could connect to the 1272Q. There is an optional progressive scan component input card for the projector but this would likely be more than a standard DVD player and inexpensive scaler would be, thus unless you for some reason absolutely need component input on the projector I would avoid it.

I have no idea what "TC" burn is. "The Computer" mabey? I dunno. If the burn is a computer/high definition image on the tubes it will be displayed when using that part of the tubes. Your ideal projector will project an all raster/all white screen with no discolorations.

As far as switching the projector from ceiling mount to table mount, it requires moving 6 connections on the top two boards of the projector. Do a search on the forum for the directions to do this, it is very easy to do. For 500 bucks if the tubes are good it and you don't have to pay shipping then it sounds like a good deal. Good luck!

-Audiophil

·
Registered
849 Posts
I agree with Phil. If tubes are OK, and you can pick it up without shipping, It's a GREAT deal. I use a DVDO V2 doubler with my 1272, and It gives a fantastic picture IMO. Good Luck!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.