AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a Sony VPH-1272Q with HTPC and am ready for a new projector now that I'm moving.

I could get either a slightly used SONY G70Q or a new JVC DLA-SX21U.

I currently have a 100-inch, Da-Lite matt-white screen (1.1 gain), and the new rooms ambient light can be controlled.

Will I be disappointed if I stray from the CRT world?

Thanks,

:) neil

·
Banned
6,047 Posts
Only you would know. Dilas have many advantages in many areas, but although contrast and blacks are good, they arent as good as a CRT or some DLP. So if that is extremely important to you, it may or may not make a difference to you.

Of course, going to get a demo would help you decide.

If you have any questions concerning Dila technology or pricing, let me know

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't know if you would be happy with the D-ILA, but it would be superbright on your screen. You could probably get by with some ambient light. It is very CRT-like except that the blacks are not as black as they are with a CRT pj as I'm sure you know. I am very happy with my D-ILA G-15, and I used to be a CRT owner. Only you can decide, but you should try to get to see one if you have never seen one before, and it needs to be calibrated. You might also consider a reconditioned Electrohome Marquee 9500 9" CRT. I have seen them for sale from time to time for not much more than a new D-ILA would cost.

Larry

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Neil

I just made the decision to give up my Sony 1252 CRT and get the SX21. A remarkable similarity with your thinking as the 1252 and 1272 are pretty similar. I also have a 100" 16x9 screen - Though mine is the Stewart Studiotek 130.

It's funny - I had an evening last night bidding farewell to my trusty CRT friend of 10 years. We watched Identity (great soundtrack!). The blacks and greys were awesome. The colors were amazing and I sat there thinking what a great thing a CRT is. And wondering if Alison would let me set up the CRT in the bedroom :)

However, my CRT has faded and needs tweaking almost every week.

Of all the many PJ's I've seen the SX21 has the best colors, most film like presentation but seems to worry people about black levels.

I agree with Larry 100%. That said. I'm a 10 year CRT addict and the JVC SX21 was the best alternative. Nothing is perfect.

If your issues are color, clarity and film like presentation and you can live with a non 100% CRT black presentation, you'll love the SX21.

I agree with Daniel's post as well. By the way. I bought mine off Daniel and he's right about AVS pricing - hint hint!

All the best

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.