AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The blue tube, even with its "SIZE" settings at "MIN" for both Vertical and Horizontal dimensions, still very nearly fills the tube face with its raster - and that's with Centering and all Registration Data at 128 across the board!

Additionally, on the tube face the blue raster is clearly blurry, and is constantly juddering and flickering, always in erratic motion.

What the heck's wrong?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I check for junk on the cathode?

The PJ was bought about two months ago - it had the problem when I got it home and I don't know if it also had it before then. It's never been stored with its lenses skywards, though.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Sounds like either the focus or HV lead is not seated properly. Make sure the HV lead can't be pulled out of the HV splitter, and that the focus lead is soldered to the CRT socket, and is firmly seated into the focus block.

·
Registered
289 Posts
From what I’ve read on this forum, debris can fall down inside the tube neck and get trapped on the cathode causing an all-over low “shimmering” tube glow. I gather there is a “tool” for zapping this but a DIY approach is running the tube at high brightness for “a while”.

Don't know if I could bring myself to do that to one of my tubes – especially if it’s a “10”.

I’m assuming that this is your problem. Perhaps I’ve misinterpreted the fault?

Have a look at this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1135866

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi --

No, it's not really much like those videos. There's no interference or static - no "extra" blue elements going haywire. It's all limited to what's being drawn onto the tube face. So instead of getting weird blue flickers all across it, it's just the crosshairs, menu text, etc., which all flicker, wiggle, blur, etc.

For what it's worth, the problem did clear up for a time, and I thought it was just a kin kworking out - but now it's back in full force and not going away.

Is the HV splitter the big orange block? Which wire going to it is the lead?

I'll see if I can find where the focus lead connects to the CRT socket. I've checked the focus blocks (if you mean the three plugs right behind the electronic focus controls?) and they seem fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

I flipped open the projector and there is an orange block between the green and blue tubes that looks just like the HV block that's near the front

The very middle red wire connecting to this orange block, which goes straight to the back of the blue tube, was barely in at all!
i hardly touched it and it slipped right out!

i tried to press it back in, but it's just not going in - it's still all lose, and the gray cap on it seems like it's not at all down as far along the wire as it should be.

Weird stuff! Could this be it? How can I fix it?

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
That's the problem. Pull back on the gray boot, push down hard on the red wire, and twist 90 degrees. It should/will lock into place. Put rubber boot back on.

Try the twist a few times if it doesn't work the first time. Once it locks, the wire will be in solidly, and will not pull out with a gentle (or rough) tug. To release, push down, twist 90 degrees, and it will slide right out once the metal tabs are released.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, thanks!
I've been at it on-and-off for about an hour now; everytmie I get it turned in a bit, it just unturns itself straight away. But I'llget it eventually - and it's great to finally know what the problem was! I've gotta take a break now - it's getting too frustrating. :p

Thanks a million Curt!

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Yell and scream at it for a bit. and twist a bit more. Otherwise, take the lead out, untwist it so there's no lateral pressure from the wire, and it should lock.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Nope, either way is fine. Yes, bitchy as heck, which is probably why the last owner had issues. Work with it, you'll get it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to keep bugging you, but - have you got any tips at all? I've nearly killed my shoulder trying to screw this thing in, and I'm not even getting close to fastening it - it just pops out the instant i let go.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Has it got the little metal cap on it as opposed to a bare wire. If so you are going to have to get the little cap out of the hole. It happened to me once five years ago. Its doable though if that's your situation. You can also use pliers to get it in. Helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, here's what's going on -

I think that the cable on this particular CRT is NOT set up for a Sony 1272Q projector!

The gray cap near the end is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the gray caps on all the other plugs.

Also this gray cap on the blue CRT is seperated by first a long black piece of plastic and then a much shorter but thicker biege plastic piece. These two pieces of plastic keep the gray cap from being anywhere near the position of the caps on the other wires.

The very end of my blue CRT wire looks like a bottlecap. Is this how it's supposed to look?

What can I do to get this to work?

I know this gray cap won't work - it's got to go. So what do I do next? Curt, I hope you're still reading!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts