AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I expect similar wonderful colors? Better convergance stability w.r.t. temperature? How about resolution?

I was feeling tempted to replace my blue tube, and may be in a situation where the question is "Is a G70 with VDC blue+green tubes was worth $1K more than a single 09MFX3?"

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Drew,

I really like the G70 but also like the 1292.

I think the question you really need to answer is how important is HD to you?? As you know the 1292 will do HD a bit better than the G70 because of it's 9" CRT's. I say a bit better because the spot size of the G-70 is a bit smaller than the spot size of the 1292, thereby negating some (not all) of the 9" advantage.

The G-70 is a brighter machine, not as loud (but still fan noise to contend with). The G-70 is color corrected so colors are very good but a ***** to get a flat grey scale out of. Red is pretty good. It has a very film like immage. Tough call.

Terry

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Terry, You were able to convey to drew what I like about the G70. The brightness and the colors. I guess after awhile you get used to that "picture window" effect and take it for granted. I bought a newer G70 today and was going to buy a 1292 and get rid of the G70's altogether. But now I may go the direction of the double stack. Remember a while back I did that with 1271's and posted pictures? If the 1271's looked that good I wonder how the G70's will look? Better than one 1292?

:

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Dennis,

I think what would be really cool in a double stack would be splitting the screen so that one G-70 does the left half while the other the right half. You could run a big screen and have lots of horizontal resolution. HD should be incredible. Now if we just had a way to do it seamlessly from our HTPC's.

Terry

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I LOVE THE 1292 BUT I WILL NOT BE BUYING ANOTHER

ONE DO TO THE UNFORTUNATE FACT THAT THE TUBES

CAN NOT BE REBUILT CAN YOU SIDE BY SIDE STACK

SONY G70 PROJECTORS

XANATOS

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The way I did the 1271's was one on the ceiling and one on the floor. Side by side I believe you have to switch the red and blue tubes in one so either the reds or the blues are next to one another.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
i saw your post on your 1271 stack

you did a great job

XANATOS

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much better does the 1292 resolve 1920x1080p than the G70? Enough to be noticeable on Showtime HD broadcasts?

HD is not yet an issue because I don't watch network television, there aren't enough decent movies on D-theater, and I can't get the one OAR HD movie channel into my HTPC, although that could change given an affordable ($1.5K?) setup with a 1394 enabled DTV/echostar set-top box and HD PVR software on the PC.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Drew

Do not forget the tubes should last alot longer on a 1292 then a G70.

Deron.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I average 1-2 movies a week. At 200-400 hours a year, I expect my next set of tubes (1292 or G70) to last until digital projectors that beat 9" CRTs are cheap enough for me to buy one :)

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Drew,

With good HD source material you will see a bit more punch with the 9"CRT 1292 than with the 8" CRT of the G-70.

Terry

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Another consideration is the 3D effect..

It's much more noticeable on my 1292 than it was on my prior 808..

I don't know if it's 8" vs 9" or that I have upgraded to HTPC/Holo etc but I'd make sure I wouldn't be losing any of the 3d effect going to the G70..

·
Registered
441 Posts
I can see scanlines easily (close up to the screen) on my G70 when fed 1080i. I don't think with 1080i you would be gaining a lot with a 1292.

The G70 also has later software and a better operating system than the 1292 and the tubes are rebuildable.

The black levels are absolutely superb on a G70.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 1292 in for repair right now with great tubes, and I have a G-70 arriving next week ,so I will have them side by side ..If you like I will try to a bit of a critique when they are both set up

regrds

Mark

·
Registered
838 Posts
Drew,

As you have mentioned, most of the trouble with 1292's centers around noise, set-up and getting the beast off the ground. Once you have solved these problems (hush box, careful set up, and some kind of lifting device) it is hard to beat a 1292. Especially when you can find low hour replacement units for around 2K that will "plug" right into your existing mount and hush box.

Just my opinion.

Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.