AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What mounting bolts are needed to ceiling mount a Sony 1292 projector? I have the mount (not the PSS-1270), but no bolts.

One Installation manual (3-800-605-24(1)) calls out M8 10-25 mm metric screws and another (3-800-605-21(1)) calls out M8 38-43 mm metric screws.

M8 10mm - 25mm vs. M8 38mm-43mm ?

Neither source identifies the pitch of the thread??? And while I'm asking - why do they refer to the item as a screw? Isn't it a bolt?

What do you recommend? Do you think strength ratings of 8.8 are sufficient or should I look for 12.9 parts?

Thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
345 Posts
why don't you just use the 12.9 tensile bolts to be sure?

I am sure that they are not that much more expensive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not sure about the bolts but when you come to install them Sony recommend 2 newton meters of tension (a choked spanner) on the bolts that screw into the 1292. It is important to not overtighten them.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spacboy,

Thanks for the torque setting. I sure would hate to strip the threads on the 1292. Like most of us - I sit almost directly under it.....

Pasey25,

I think you are right. There is no harm in being safe. Even if it is massive overkill.

Any idea on pitch?

Ed

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just used m8 high tensile metric bolts. Thread pitch is just the normal one, I didn't even specify it.

Length, may pay to measure it yourself. The thread is actually mounted in the main part of the chassis, not near the surface on that supporting rib. So 10mm is a joke. Assuming the bolt will make contact with 10mm of thread in chassis, the bolt would be around 30mm from memory. You can just stick something like a pencil down the hole and measure how far the thread is and work out you bolt length from there. That's all I did.

All bolts are actually called screws, go figure. :)

Even though there are 7 holes in chassis, I've found that only 5 were actually threaded.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cobra. A little odd that two different versions of the same manual call out such different parts???

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.