AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the Sony 12HT for the same price as the HT1000. Am a bit confused as to which one to go for...since 12HT offer widescreen, but HT1000 is not, on the other hand it is DLP vs LCD, and yes I am not worried rainbow effect, and the DLP contrast on the HT1000 is quite good,,,,

I am confused......please help...

·
Premium Member
24,811 Posts
The HT1000 is being compared favorably with $10K+ HD2 machines. I'm personally sensitive to poor black levels, so I wouldn't even consider the VW12HT.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you are not prone to rainbows, its a no brainer...go NEC. Even if the NEC was more 25% more expensive...go NEC. Don't worry abt 16:9 panels...it is overrated and you won't really see the benefit unless you plan to sit closer than 1.5 times screen width.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies............ seems like it will be the NEC... I guess I got a bit paranoid with the widescreen feature on the Sony...

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
If you decide you are interested in the NEC, be sure to consider its fixed vertical offset. Its quite large and there is no manual lens shift :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK.... what is this vertical offset problem.....

I am planning to put the projector in a Custom Built Coffee table (no lifts), it will sit just under the top shelf. So would this present a problem. Would that mean I would have to tilt the screen from the top to square the image.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
The colors on the NEC are not muted compared to LCD. They are very saturated and natural. It can take 1080P and is also hdcp complient.

If at all possible go see both and make up your own mind.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
I agree with Alan!!! I had an LCD(Sanyo PLV60) and the colors on the NEC, while not quite as good, are so close it doesn't make a difference!!!

Scott

·
Registered
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by digitalreality
just remember that DLP colors tend to be a bit muted, whereas LCDs have more punch in their colors......something to think about.
This is a myth.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I wouldn't call it a myth, so much as a misconception...

Older 1chp DLP's did have poorer colours compared to three panel LCD/LCOS devices. Yet, the newer ones are starting to compete well in this regard...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Scott,

Other comparisons betwen the 60 and the 1000?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
muted colours were an artifact of the clear seg on the color wheel weren't they?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is this a trick question? Go see both and use your own eyes to make a decision, it will be an easy choice. Or if not you can trust the judgement of Alan Gouger, who has seen almost every digital projector made, and suggests the NEC without hesitation. What does that tell you? Reed.

·
Registered
909 Posts
No need to see, no need to read, no need to research....just close your eyes reach into your pocket and buy the NEC ! There has never been a situation whereby a player has been presented with so little or no competition. Who else can offer you RGBRGB, 2000+:1 contrast ratio, DVI input, fantastically natural colors, XGA resolution, and ........

·
Registered
761 Posts
About the ONLY reason to not buy the NEC would be if you had "Rainbowitus" or that you have a lower ceiling and can't work around the NEC's ridiculous throw angle / distance. The Specs, the eyewitness reports, the price,... nearly everything is in NEC's favour just now...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.