quality of 12HT is NOT so great compared to my old 10HT (which has

been calibrated by the SMART II tool by the previous owner). In fact

for some scenes my 10HT, with the red cc30 filter, is even better

than the 12HT. The only obvious improvement is the superior

brightness of the 12HT over the 10HT. Anyone can share your

experiences in calibrating the 12HT?

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB; 106" Da Lite HD Progressive 1.3 Screen; Denon 4700H AVR; Panasonic 820 Blu-ray Player
3,186 Posts
I have been very happy with my 10HT. I have it calibrated and I have a 30cc filter on it. With HD material with cinema black off and a newer bulb, it looks very good. The brightness is adequate and the colors are good.

I have been getting the upgrade bug, however. But I just don't know how much improvement I can get for only a few thousand dollars. I just don't think a 12HT or a HS20 is going to give me a dramatic improvement over my calibrated and filtered 10HT. In fact, I think the brightness advantage of the 12 HT over the 10HT that you're seeing is mostly due to how new the bulb is. If you put a new bulb in the 10HT I think it will be just as bright as the 12HT. So even brightness is not an advantage.

I fear that in order to notice a dramatic improvement, I will have to spend 6-8 thousand dollars for a Sharp 12000 or a Infocus 7200 or something similar. I'm just trying to determine in my mind if the improvement over my 10HT is worth that much money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have the 11HT & i also calibrated it using SMART III. The brightness difference is just as you said, a new bulb.

the difference between the 3 models,

10HT to 11HT: better scaler

11HT to 12HT: inclusion of the red filter (that comes with SMART)

You may not like the DLP solutions you suggested because of the spinnning color wheel rainbow effects which we do not have. I think you should just stay with what you have as this is a great projector (all 3).

Mark

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have been following the pixel, fringe alignment postings for the HS20 (HSxx series). Being in the market for a projector, I am watching this carefully as my reference is RPTVs.

Before the HT20 was popular there was the HT10 and before that ???

The 10, 11, 12HT I belive predated the HSxx series. It would be interesting to know what owners of the xxHT series have seen with regard to pixel alignment, as these are at a different price point than the HSxx series.

Please post your pixel alignment experiences.

Martin

·
Registered
368 Posts
I owned a 10HT for several years. I was very happy with the picture I got using an HTPC as a 720p scaler, SMART calibration + CC40R filter and grey screen

A friend who saw my PJ bought a 12HT (it had a ridiculously low price over here in Europe some months ago, and by ridiculously low I mean 3k). When we compared both, well, it was hard to tell that his machine was a third generation model. The improvements were very subtle, to put it mildly. Its a good PJ anyhow, I just think it should have been much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.