AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has already been posted, I apologize for reposting. But just an FYI for those who have recently purchased a Sony UTV with the $200 rebate...I found this site to check the status:

http://www.safeprocessing.com/sonypromo/home.asp

and I found out they denied my claim saying that I didn't send in the original UPC. Well, the rebate form said "A Copy of the UPC," not the original. So I called 1-866-466-6455 and explained the situation and faxed them another copy of the UPC. They've corrected the problem and are now sending out my check. I'm sharing this with all of you because Sony didn't bother to actually mail me a notice...if they did, I haven't received it...so you might want to check the above link and make sure your check is on the way.

-Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually just got an email for a rebate on a Yamaha Cd burner that I got. They said that I didnt include the correct UPC and to send the correct one in. But the problem is that i sent it in and now i dont have it, just the box with the hole in it, so i guess i';ll have to send an email and complain .

I'm going to fill out my Sony UTV rebates today, so i'll remember this. Thanks for the info.

-dave

·
Registered
315 Posts
An important thing to remember about rebates, Dave, especially big ones like the UTV rebates, is to make copies of all items you send in. I've needed these copies on occasion to resubmit. I also send large rebates by Certified Mail. Helps confirm you submitted before the deadline.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just received 2 checks for $200 each for the 2 Sony UTV's I bought from Orbitsat in February, and I sent in copies of the UPCs.

You'd think they would use consistent standards. But you would be wrong.

-Kevin

·
Banned
176 Posts
I sent in two rebates, certified mail, in the same envelope. Of course, I initially received one rebate. When I called (an hour wait), and explained that I only received one of two rebates, the rep immediately asked whether I had sent two in one envelope. She then admitted that often only one of the two rebates will be processed as such. Ticked off? Of course I was. No phone call, no letter, no notice. Had I not noticed it, I would've been out of $200!! Needless to say, I faxed copies to her the next day & my rebate showed up 3 weeks later.

Two points: (1) always make copies of rebate materials; and (2) understand that rebate processing centers will *try* to avoid giving you your rebate (another of life's sad truths).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good news. I mailed in my $200 rebates on 4/11/02 and received the first check on Wednesday and the second one today. In the future I will take Kevin's advice and send any multiple rebates separately. I had to fax Sony copies of the rebate and receipt even though everything was stapled together. I keep copies over everything I send out and keep detailed notes of any phone calls I make when I have to inquire. Heck, I just yesterday got a $45 rebate on CD-Rs I bought from CC 11 months ago. Had to mail copies of everything, letter of explanation, etc to get. Now what do I want to buy next...

Sean

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine took about the same. It never did show on the website though.

An interesting dilema though. I sent in only one rebate, but I received two checks. So basicly I was paid $161 dollars to buy a sony utv....

My wife thinks I should send the second one back. I'm not so sure???

·
Registered
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by orlfinfan
My wife thinks I should send the second one back. I'm not so sure???
Not sure about what - whether cashing the second check is stealing, or whether you're a thief?

Yes, cashing the second check is stealing - and that means Yes, you will be a theif.

The only thing to be "sure" about is whether you are OK with being one.

The rest of it is kind of simple to figure out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You are not a thief yet. Just call Sony and explain what happened, and ask if there is anything you need to do. If they say no, then you are ok. It may not be worth the money for them to correct things.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Several people have been screwed out of rebates in the past, find one and give them the money. That way, karma is satisfied!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by
Not sure about what - whether cashing the second check is stealing, or whether you're a thief?

Yes, cashing the second check is stealing - and that means Yes, you will be a theif.

The only thing to be "sure" about is whether you are OK with being one.

The rest of it is kind of simple to figure out.
And I'm sure everytime a clerk gives you a few extra bucks back in the checkout line your correct them... Chill pal... How about buying a utv only to learn they may be outdated because of no more utv division at MS. now that's stealing.

oh and by the way i'm on ninety days waiting for my sony rebate. :mad:

sb4

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I called and they have me legitimately receiving both checks according to there records. I explained that the second check was mostly due to me sending in a clearly marked dup set of the originals. The super that I spoke said that he would keep it if it were him.

Anyway, I'm not a theif which is why I didn't cash both checks to begin with. I fully expected that the second would have a stop on it or some type of hold.

Regardless, I've made several copies of the check and have them neatly filed for reference. The check is on it's way back to them with VOID written accross the front. I also included a note explaining the situation.

The bottom line is that while I don't consider it stealing to take advantage of someones elses mistake, I can't in good faith take advantage of something that could end up costing someone their job. I doubt one check would cause such a thing but I feel better about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.