AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 2919 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any FIOS users? I am trying to use the regular TV Sony remote - I have it paired with my FIOS set top box, but can't figure out how to access the DVR or FIOS Menu button.

What are people using as a universal remote on these TVs?

·
Registered
499 Posts
The Samsung JS9500 is FALD and the 930C is edge lit. The fact that the edge lit 930C beats the FALD JS9500 in some categories says a lot about the 930C.
I agree, but what I also believe is the JS9500 is hurt by a curved screen and the uniformity issues that are caused by that. Both are fantastic TVs but I honestly think that the 9500 is being held back. According to Rtings the JS8500 screen is better then the 9500 in Grey uniformity and black level. Hell contrast is better on a JS8500. Flatten out the JS9500 and I think it will be a lot better. With that said I think the best TV is the x940c > JS9500 (barely) > X930C > JS8500 with the only negative on the x930 is Grey Uniformity which is horrible according to rtings compared to the others.

Reactions: Carlos_E

·
Registered
499 Posts
Does that void the warranty?
Depends on how you do it, if you do it by laying the tv down on its screen and putting a 10 pound weight in the center and using a blow dryer to warm up the plastic so it slowly takes the curve out I think you should be fine.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
I agree, but what I also believe is the JS9500 is hurt by a curved screen and the uniformity issues that are caused by that. Both are fantastic TVs but I honestly think that the 9500 is being held back. According to Rtings the JS8500 screen is better then the 9500 in Grey uniformity and black level. Hell contrast is better on a JS8500. Flatten out the JS9500 and I think it will be a lot better. With that said I think the best TV is the x940c > JS9500 (barely) > X930C > JS8500 with the only negative on the x930 is Grey Uniformity which is horrible according to rtings compared to the others.
Ive had the js8500, js9000, and finally the js9500 in my home.

In full apl scenes where local dimming doesn't matter the js8500 was obviously the best in quality.

But the clouding and flashlighting from the edge lit tech were absolutely obnoxious.

When it doesn't bloom, the js9500 is great. 940c is better though.

That being said I don't find the curve of the 9000/9500 offensive at all.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts

The front plasic panel on the curved samsungs definitely hurt how the blacks appear in daylight. U can see it in the shootout videos too that in some instances the screen looks grey when the lights are on. When they shut the lights off it does look alot better but then u see more blooming.

U can go to best buy and see what i mean when they have a curved tv next to a flat one and the reflective front panel on the curve makes it appear less black. My flat 8550 had the apearance of better blacks due to this despite being significantly cheaper.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
The front plasic panel on the curved samsungs definitely hurt how the blacks appear in daylight. U can see it in the shootout videos too that in some instances the screen looks grey when the lights are on. When they shut the lights off it does look alot better but then u see more blooming.

U can go to best buy and see what i mean when they have a curved tv next to a flat one and the reflective front panel on the curve makes it appear less black. My flat 8550 had the apearance of better blacks due to this despite being significantly cheaper.
Couldn't be further from the truth. Blacks on my js9500 look jet black whether I have light through the window or it is midnight with the lights off.

That being said, flat is always better and I don't want derail this Sony thread and we all know Sony ain't doing the whole curve thing - so hats off to them

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Couldn't be further from the truth. Blacks on my js9500 look jet black whether I have light through the window or it is midnight with the lights off.

That being said, flat is always better and I don't want derail this Sony thread and we all know Sony ain't doing the whole curve thing - so hats off to them
Actually it IS truth. U just cant tell without having a flat tv next to it. Its obvious at any store that has them either side by side or on top of one another. Of course the js9500 will have the best black level based on meter measurementbut the panel they use hurts it. But in a store environment u can see it, in a dark environment at home it will look normal. Watch the shootout videos its obvious in those too every time they turn the lights on.

Sony actually does do curve tvs, just not in the USA.

And I see some big name retailers have discontinued selling the 950b, wonder if that means a 65" 950C is on its way.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quick question. Does the XBR55X850C have subtitles when using the USB media player? Mainly srt support? Thanks
I don't have any media with external srts but I did test it with some mkvs with internal srts.

It worked well. I tried one file with 4 different subs in it and there is a subtitle button on the remote and it can easily choose between them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't have any media with external srts but I did test it with some mkvs with internal srts.

It worked well. I tried one file with 4 different subs in it and there is a subtitle button on the remote and it can easily choose between them.
Thank you I went ahead and bought one so I will know soon enough

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quick question. When connecting a USB hard drive for videos you are suppose to use the app called "video" right? Because when I do it does not see the device at all. It only sees DLNA connections.

OK. I figured it out, and so far I can say the usb video player app really sucks. Thankfully I rarely use it anymore.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quick question. When connecting a USB hard drive for videos you are suppose to use the app called "video" right? Because when I do it does not see the device at all. It only sees DLNA connections.

OK. I figured it out, and so far I can say the usb video player app really sucks. Thankfully I rarely use it anymore.
What do you not like about it?

·
Registered
397 Posts
What do you not like about it?

The main issue is that 80% of the time it doesnt even recognize that I have connected the hard drive. I have to reboot, or reconnect it several time just to get it show my files. Then when it does the video stays stuck at loading. None of these issues were there with the 850b media player, using the exact same videos, hard drive, cable, etc. I actually chatting with Sony now about this.
Other than this I like the TV, but for now the video app is unusable for me.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The main issue is that 80% of the time it doesnt even recognize that I have connected the hard drive. I have to reboot, or reconnect it several time just to get it show my files. Then when it does the video stays stuck at loading. None of these issues were there with the 850b media player, using the exact same videos, hard drive, cable, etc. I actually chatting with Sony now about this.
Other than this I like the TV, but for now the video app is unusable for me.
I have seen that issue as well. I have to reboot after plugging in a USB device. I don't think it is an issue with the player. I think it is an issue with the TV.

I haven't had any videos stuck at loading though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have seen that issue as well. I have to reboot after plugging in a UDB device. I don't think it is an issue with the player. I think it is an issue with the TV.

I haven't had any videos stuck at loading though.
Thats what I mean. The TV's built in video app that plays usb files.

1941 - 1960 of 2919 Posts